AMD improves and silences its retail fans.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Seen on The Inquirer :
THE FANS that AMD sells in boxes with CPUs included were obviously too noisy.

It's told its resellers that it's made several improvements to the fan, the chief of which is making the pesky things quieter.

It also told its resellers in a missive yesterday that the ball bearing design gives better reliability and will assault their customers' ears to the tune of less than 34 dBA.

It also claims that the heatsinks have more copper content, it's supplying a "more secure" retaining clip, and that even with all of its improvements, the weight is still less than 300 grams.
Makes me happy and I bet it will please several of you too.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
The Inquirer ain't exactly quick on the uptake, is it. AMD have been shipping improved fans for .. oh ... a couple of months at least. Ever since the 0.13 micron thingies came out, or just after that, I think it was. Esentially, we don't bother buying third-party fans anymore: the stock AMD-supplied ones are fine.

(In the old dayz, we used to play hand-me-down: buy (say) XP 2000, XP 1600 and Duron 1100. We'd buy the Durons on a tray and use the AMD-supplied XP 1600 fans on them, use the AMD-supplied 2000 fans on the 1600s, and buy Coolermasters (or whatever) for the 2000 chipz. Don't have to bother anymore. And not before time, either!)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I have a couple of XP3000s here at the moment. The HSF is smaller and has more fins underneath the fan. It is also a great deal heavier than I expected it would be.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Tea said:
The Inquirer ain't exactly quick on the uptake, is it. AMD have been shipping improved fans for .. oh ... a couple of months at least.
I thought the improved fans The Inq. refers to was also an improved design over the current copper-bottom retail heatsink. I don't know why The Inq. would post this as a news now if it was a couple months old.

Besides, the copper-bottom retail heatsink fans only comes with higher-end Athlon. The few XP 1800+ I bought last week (all Thoroughbred core : AXDA1800DLT3C) all came with an all-aluminum heatsink featuring a 3-notch retention clip. They are still just as efficient while less noisy than the Thermaltake Volcano 7 that drived me nut before.

zx

Learning Storage Performance
The fans that came with my 2600 MP are too noisy. The HSF is aluminium (i think). Very good thing if AMD improves the quality of their stock HSF.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
There have been a whole stack of new ones lately, so many that I get hazy about the details - particularly as we keep switching models to follow the sweet spots around.

But as for the Inquirer, I lost a lotof respect for that rag when they printed that utterly stupid and demonstrably untrue hatchet job on Opera - "Opera is Spyware" or some such. It was immediately obvious that the moron writing it was a complete f*ckwit, and they not only printed it as "news", but then tried to pretend that they had been right all along with a phoney "apology" a day or two later. The Inquirer has been placed on my not-to-be-trusted "gutter rag" list ever since.