AMD versus Intel : who's the best at chess?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
C't Magazine has setup a contest between a dual Athlon MP system and a dual Xeon P4 system. I think they are supposed to play 55 games and declare a winner a the end of it.

It's all in German (or in Dutch, all look the same to me), so I don't understand a damn thing of what's written there. Can someone tell me who's in front (for chess game, I bet on AMD)?

http://www.heise.de/ct/schachduell/

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Of course that means they played more than 55 so far. Are 55 the total rounds of games? Where did you see that number anyway...?

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
It is German. Dutch and Afrikaan are somewhat different, depending on the dialect.

The score is in favor of AMD by one game, although they seem to be trading off the wins and losses.

Interesting concept of having two chess programs play each other.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Bartender said:
The score is in favor of AMD by one game, although they seem to be trading off the wins and losses.
So what's the table below saying AMD is losing? :-?

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
The table below gives us information for Round 1. I was referring to the present score. At the present time, AMD is ahead. Since a new match is started at 5:00 pm Hannover time, I'm guessing that the present Round playing is new, and that is also why the names have changed brands.

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
dutch and german are quite separate languages. although they share some similarites, the difference is more than say spanish <> portuguese.

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
Jake the Dog said:
dutch and german are quite separate languages. although they share some similarites, the difference is more than say spanish <> portuguese.

They are separate languages, especially in the spelling. But when I hear my Dutch friends talk, I'm surprised how many of the words pronounced (although spelled differently) sound similar to German. The same works for them when hearing people speak German. But again, there is no doubt about it, they are different languages. I suppose my use of the word "somewhat" lacked the emphasis needed to show their differences.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The Intel dually got his ass spanked quite badly during the last few game (I'm talking about the games 25-29, the 30th is playing right now). If the sofftware is a learning chess game, I don't expect the AMD rig to lose many games from there on, since computers aren't affect by the same weaknesses than humans (fatigue, stress, emotions). The AMD rig seems to have found a way to beat or match the Intel system on a regular basis.

The remaining 25 games should be in AMD's favor in an almost humiliating manner. It will probably be bad enough to give suing ideas to Intel's directors.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
CougTek said:
The Intel dually got his ass spanked quite badly during the last few game (I'm talking about the games 25-29, the 30th is playing right now). If the sofftware is a learning chess game, I don't expect the AMD rig to lose many games from there on, since computers aren't affect by the same weaknesses than humans (fatigue, stress, emotions). The AMD rig seems to have found a way to beat or match the Intel system on a regular basis.

The remaining 25 games should be in AMD's favor in an almost humiliating manner. It will probably be bad enough to give suing ideas to Intel's directors.
Ummm... better take another look my friend, it's all tied up at the moment. :)

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Hummm....strange.

The other benchmarks I saw showed clearly the Athlon has being a lot better at chess games than the Pentium 4. The software they use is intriguing. It must not be a learning program or else, the proportion of victories/defeats would have broaden in AMD's favor rather than turning back to almost a tie.

Weird.

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
CougTek said:
Hummm....strange.

The other benchmarks I saw showed clearly the Athlon has being a lot better at chess games than the Pentium 4. The software they use is intriguing. It must not be a learning program or else, the proportion of victories/defeats would have broaden in AMD's favor rather than turning back to almost a tie.

Weird.

From what I've read, it is a learning program. Be before every new Round, the memory is cleared, so they both start off stupid again.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
I think this is better. Each round should be cleared.

If not, a lucky row of winning tactics might give the one or the other a "learning advantage" to win all remaining rounds...

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Could some one translate the Page again. It appears Intel has pulled far into the lead but I'm not sure.