An inconvienent Truth and Global warming

ddrueding

Fixture
But we can regulate CO2 emissions. Just not as easily. I was looking at the 10-year schedule for our truck fleet. Based on the newly regulated schedule, 50% of our fleet gets scrapped within the next 3 years and 75% in the next 10. That is a massive, massive cost to reduce CO2. Nevertheless, it is much easier than changing the Earths orbit.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
But we can regulate CO2 emissions. Just not as easily. I was looking at the 10-year schedule for our truck fleet. Based on the newly regulated schedule, 50% of our fleet gets scrapped within the next 3 years and 75% in the next 10. That is a massive, massive cost to reduce CO2. Nevertheless, it is much easier than changing the Earths orbit.

You have confirmed the downside of the equation of regulating CO2. You can not confirm the upside, that even on a global scale doing this will actually be effective in reducing the warming of the planet.

ddrueding

Fixture
You have confirmed the downside of the equation of regulating CO2. You can not confirm the upside, that even on a global scale doing this will actually be effective in reducing the warming of the planet.

The very fact that we don't know what the result will be, and are changing the entire planet in a way that we can't easily reverse should be enough. It's not like we have a backup.

You are arguing that the uncertainty means we can continue. I'm arguing that the uncertainty means we have to stop.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Changing the Earth's orbit may be expensive and may be impossible but we have to try ... for the children. : )

But we are changing the earth's orbit every time we send something outside its gravitational control and everytime something comes back. Newtons Laws still apply! That energy is subracted and added to the earth. We just haven't done it to a noticable level (yet).

Hopefully, our children and their children will learn from global warming and not continue manipulating world-changing forces without thought as to consequences.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
That's not my interpretation. It says that warming will occur regardless of if we totally stop pumping out CO2. What it does not say is that if we don't stop, it won't get far worse.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
But we are changing the earth's orbit every time we send something outside its gravitational control and everytime something comes back. Newtons Laws still apply! That energy is subracted and added to the earth. We just haven't done it to a noticable level (yet).

We should think more seriously about ejecting our nuclear waste into space. We could get the benefit of nuclear energy generation and if we plan and implement launches during the right time of the year we could optimize our solar orbit. Brilliant! Take that global warming!

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
home.jpg

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/energy/

I take it not one of you watched? Not a single comment, so I'll assume so, lol.

Shall I post the entire transcript? (always works better when you have visual to go with text...but hey, wouldn't want to force feed any of you :p )

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Pastor Obama, err I meant motivational speaker Obama (also now US president :p ), said "change is coming"....

well I must have misunderstood him then, taken his words out of context.

:drinka:

Carbon foot print :D :rr:

Guess change will have to wait until we get some president with a radical political, personal mindset. Cause you all know Obama is black (kind of) and naturally we, the USA, in the midst of one of the worst recessions on record, needed to spend lots of money on the typical USA presidential inauguration proceedings.

If Obama really wanted to chastise Wall Street executive compensation, paid by US taxpayers in the bailout superfund, chastise Citibank for trying to buy a $50M Daussault Falcon FX7 Busjet...carbon foot print.

Wouldn't he, couldn't he have lead by example, told the nation he was going to start from day one with his vision of necessary cutting back on excesses, and short term austerity needed from the very top? Couldn't he have shown us the way of change, in a time of need? Could he not have mandated, no balls, no elaborate inauguration proceedings. Instead, in a ground breaking, leadership role, mandated that the inaguration is to be limited, and take place before congress, in the chambers of the House & Senate, with SupCt Justice Roberts giving the oath there, and televised via Obama's weakly YouTube style announcements :D ?

Can you imagine the hundreds of millions that would have saved that could have been spent in other ways to help the needy? Can you imagine how much less C02, electrical, fuel/energy savings could have been realized....

Nah, business as usual...welcome the tax payer spending Obama Admn, same old tune.

Ah no way, Dems have to spend just like Repubs. Can't cancel inaugural balls/dances, all of them, these are important to set the tone of the Obama Admn....lol.

Carbon foot print, estimates

And don't forget typical Dem pork barrel spending. Will spending several hundred million to renovate the presidential inaugural grounds around the White House/Wash DC...provide recession busting jobs in the near term? Will $300 Mil for family planning...stimulate

jobs?

If you believe House speaker, resident bulldog, Nancy Pelosi, the stimulus package is so urgent, it should have been passed intact on day one?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/01/26/house-leaders-axe-family-planning-funds-stimulus/

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi initially defended the policy initiative on Sunday on ABC's "This Week."
"Well, the family planning services reduce cost. They reduce cost. The states are in terrible fiscal budget crises now and part of what we do for children's health, education and some of those elements are to help the states meet their financial needs. One of those -- one of the initiatives you mentioned, the contraception, will reduce costs to the states and to the federal government."
A 2007 study by the Congressional Budget Office found sizable federal savings if states were free to give contraceptives to poor women. The report found that post-pregnancy family planning did nothing to reduce the cost of Medicaid-funded births. But preventing pregnancies by providing contraceptives, the study found, would save the federal government an estimated $200 million over five years.

Stereodude

Not really a
Wait...

You're actually surprised that liberal Democrats say one thing and do another? :confused:

You're surprised that liberal Democrats want other people to live by rules that they themselves don't? :confused:

What are you smoking and can I have some of it?

ddrueding

Fixture
Stereodude (almost) said:
You're actually surprised that politicians say one thing and do another? :confused:

You're surprised that politicians want other people to live by rules that they themselves don't? :confused:

Fixed that for ya.

Striker

Learning Storage Performance
Right, it's certainly not something limited to the Democrats.

RWIndiana

Right, it's certainly not something limited to the Democrats.

True. It's just limited to liberals. :) Obama is one of the worst. Telling us that we can't go on keeping our thermostats up to 72 degrees then making sure his own is at 78? Blatant hypocrisy. I have a bad feeling about this one.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
True. It's just limited to liberals. :) Obama is one of the worst. Telling us that we can't go on keeping our thermostats up to 72 degrees then making sure his own is at 78? Blatant hypocrisy. I have a bad feeling about this one.

Would it be hypocrisy if he was referring to the warm months? That's what I thought.

Striker

Yup, and I'm sure republican's never get abortions.

RWIndiana

Where did you read that he keeps his thermostat at 78 degrees?

Heard it on the news although it wasn't much published. Apparently he set some thermostat in the White House to 78 because he doesn't like the cold. Which is fine with me. As long as he isn't trying to regulate the temperature (and every little thing else) in MY house - precisely what liberals want to do.

Stereodude

Not really a

Handruin

Administrator
OK, so the most either of those offered was a subjective description that "he likes it warm". That means come the blazing hot summer time, they'll be saving lots of money on cooling...good to know.

Striker

I heard he's keeping it 80 degrees in there. He's looking into getting a kiddie pool in the Oval Office and he wants everyone to bring their bathing suits to meetings!

RWIndiana

As long as they get work done, who am I to judge.

Not disagreeing, but frankly I think you're only saying that because he's a lib. And I'm sorry but in my eyes that would make you as bad as the wacky Bush fanatics. Oh wait, he was a liberal too. :p I had plenty of criticisms of President Bush's policies, and I probably will have more for President Obama's . . . oops I'm sorry, perhaps I should be calling him "Messiah".

Excuse the cynicism, but the man is not a god. And so far he has done very little good. Oh wait, he wants to place a $10,000 tax burden on every average American family in order to stimulate the economy. Yeah that must be good, huh?

RWIndiana

And why are they calling him "Mr. Obama" in that article? I find that rather disrespectful and it irritates me. Can someone explain to me how it is not disrespectful to say "Mr. Obama" instead of "President Obama" or "Mr. President"? I don't know why this bugs me but it annoyed me when they did it to President Bush as well.

Handruin

Administrator
I was only saying that because I was being sarcastic. I don't care if he is a lib, I don't even know what I consider myself. I also don't regard him as a god either. He's been in office for 17 days, what good/bad have you seen?

Where did you read about the $10K tax increase?

How will it relate to this:
...He [Obama] is considering immediate tax cuts of $1,000 for couples and $500 for individuals, which would be delivered through reduced tax withholding from paychecks, a transition aide said. That plan could cost about $140 billion over the next two years, the aide said.

...They are likely to be based on Obama's campaign proposal, which said that families earning less than $250,000 would see their taxes remain the same or decrease.

RWIndiana

Actually I made that up. :) But we are spending a number of trillions of dollars on bailing out companies that should die. I'm not even sure what the number is up to, but the most recent one I checked would add up to about 10,000 dollars in debt to each of us.

I hope you're right about the tax cuts.

Handruin

Administrator
I don't know about the tax cuts, I'm only linking to what I read in one location. I'm sure things can/will change. The bail outs started before Obama, so he's not entirely to blame.

Stereodude

Not really a
...He [Obama] is considering immediate tax cuts of $1,000 for couples and $500 for individuals, which would be delivered through reduced tax withholding from paychecks, a transition aide said. That plan could cost about $140 billion over the next two years, the aide said.
That's not a tax cut. That's a one time tax rebate. And a large portion of it goes to people who effectively don't pay taxes. It won't stimulate the economy, nor will the rest of the Porkulus bill.

Stereodude

Not really a
I don't know about the tax cuts, I'm only linking to what I read in one location. I'm sure things can/will change. The bail outs started before Obama, so he's not entirely to blame.
If you double down / go all in on a bad idea IMHO you're even more to blame than the guy who started it. The first guy didn't know it wouldn't work (although there were voices of dissent warning it wouldn't). The second guy has the benefit of hindsight and knows the first one didn't work but dishonestly argues that the first one failed simply because it wasn't big enough.

So, now they're going to pass a bill that is nothing but pork and call it "Stimulus".

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Worst winter on record...balances drought in Oz???

So, how do the global warming, gloom and doom, pundits explain this?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100211/ap_on_re_us/us_winter_weather

y PATRICK WALTERS, Associated Press Writer Patrick Walters, Associated Press Writer – 5 mins ago PHILADELPHIA – The second of back-to-back blizzards that smothered the East Coast and easily eclipsed record seasonal snow totals with more than a month remaining in winter had tapered off by Thursday, although federal offices, city agencies and schools remained closed to contend with the storm's aftermath.
In Washington, D.C., the federal government planned to be closed for a fourth straight day, while city agencies and schools in the hardest-hit regions also scored snow days. The nation's capital joined Philadelphia and Baltimore in logging their snowiest winters in history.
"It seemed extreme, what they were predicting," said custodial worker Robert Valasquez, of South Philadelphia, as he walked to a downtown subway station on Wednesday afternoon for a ride home from his job. "How am I going to get to work tomorrow? I don't even know if it will be possible."
Road crews worked to clear Interstate 76 and I-676 in Philadelphia, which closed Wednesday to leave the city of 1.5 million residents with only one usable major artery. Elsewhere, emergency officials in eastern Pennsylvania reported more than 200 vehicles, mostly trucks, stranded for half of Wednesday along I-78 as snow was falling at about 2 inches an hour. Berks County Emergency Services Director Theodore Cole said gasoline, food and water were delivered to the stranded drivers before plows could clear paths for them by midnight, but the roadway remained closed.
In northeast Maryland, staffers at the Harford County Emergency Operations Center fielded several calls per minute from residents struggling to meet the financial demands of a second snowstorm just days after the first. One woman called to say she couldn't afford to stay at her motel another night and was about to be evicted. Homeless shelters were full, forcing the county to pay for motel rooms for some people.
"We really can't have people pushed out into the snow," said Scott Gibson, the county's director of human resources. "The motels are our second line of defense."
There was plenty of work to be done before New Jersey could return to normal after the latest blizzard. Electric crews were working to restore power to 80,000 homes and businesses that lost electricity, but the NJ Transit agency said it planned to resume bus routes Thursday morning and open nearly all train stations so residents could try to get to work.
In neighboring New York, however, Mayor Michael Bloomberg gave the city's 1.1 million public school students only their third snow day in six years. Bloomberg said the city was working overtime to clear streets and plow major thoroughfares in time for Thursday's morning rush hour.
Some New Yorkers and tourists took advantage of theater tickets discounted to fill empty seats. "Wicked" had a $61.25 "snow-day" special. There were $31.50 tickets at "Mamma Mia!" "Hair" trumpeted $40 tickets for students with valid ID. Good seats at those shows usually sell for $100 or more.
George and Natividad Sanchez trudged over slushy sidewalks in boots, parkas and scarves to take their 2-year-old daughter to see "Sesame Street Live: When Elmo Grows Up."
"I didn't want to disappoint her," George Sanchez said as the family arrived for the show at a theater in Madison Square Garden.
For many families, the first storm was a fun weekend diversion. People even went skiing past Washington's monuments. But Wednesday's blizzard quickly became a serious safety concern. The Pennsylvania governor shut down some highways, including eventually I-78, and warned that people who drove were risking their lives.
"Increasing winds are causing whiteout conditions in many areas of the state," Gov. Ed Rendell said early Thursday, after reopening three highways.
As of Wednesday, Baltimore had 72.3 inches so far this winter, the Washington area had 54.9 inches and Philadelphia had 70.3 inches. The previous records for snowiest winters were 62.5 inches in Baltimore in 1995-96; 54.4 inches in Washington in 1898-99; and 65.5 inches in Philadelphia in 1995-96.
The streets of downtown Philadelphia were nearly vacant as people heeded the mayor's advice to stay home.
Entrance ramps to closed highways were blockaded, and the Pennsylvania National Guard had Humvees stocked with food and blankets ready to help anyone who got stuck. Earlier in the day, about 25 vehicles were involved in two pileups on snowy Interstate 80 in central Pennsylvania. One man was killed, and 18 people were injured.
"For your safety, do not drive," Rendell said. "You will risk your life and, potentially, the lives of others if you get stuck on highways or any road."
Two other people were killed when their snowmobile struck a moving vehicle at an intersection in Lancaster, Pa. Michigan authorities said the storm contributed to at least four traffic deaths there.
In Virginia, where some areas had snow totals exceeding 30 inches from the two storms, winds were howling at 50 mph and temperatures were plunging. Gov. Bob McDonnell urged people to stay indoors.
Syeed Zada, a plow driver for the Virginia Department of Transportation, said the snow "reminds me of when I was driving tractor-trailers in Saudi Arabia, and the sandstorm starts and you can't see the roads."
More than 100,000 utility customers in Pennsylvania were without power. Some never got it back after the last storm.
But the news wasn't all bad. Washington has not had a homicide in a week. Ski areas were doing brisk business, when people could get to them. And private contractors were making money plowing driveways and parking lots.
But many people were just ready for the ordeal to end.
In a yard in Westmont, N.J., someone used bright orange paint to scrawl nature a message on a white backdrop: "Dear Mr Frost," it read. "We're good w/ snow."
___
Associated Press writers Kiley Armstrong and Jennifer Peltz in New York; Brett Zongker, Brian Bakst, Sarah Brumfield and Ann Sanner in Washington; Sarah Karush in Alexandria, Va.; Alex Dominguez in Baltimore; Kathleen Miller in Arlington, Va.; Ben Nuckols in Bel Air, Md.; and Dan Nephin in Bentleyville, Pa., contributed to this report.