Android Tablets

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
That maybe true, but, it's a common development platform, an OS the masses are used to,
and all of what you said;-)

Let's not forget, they are expensive, as well. Wonder how much MSFT gets for the OS on those tablets?

ddrueding

Fixture
Indeed. I was not intending for that to be derogatory, just a clarification. I had no idea there was such a thing as an ePad before Greg's post. I blame Apple.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Viewsonic's notoriously bad 10" tablet is today's woot deal.
Apparently the thing was so bad that Staples yanked them from stores and sent back its entire order, which is why they're easy to find at fairly low prices ($270).

They're good hardware, but they have to have a third party Android build loaded on them before they're worth a shit.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Viewsonic's notoriously bad 10" tablet is today's woot deal.
Apparently the thing was so bad that Staples yanked them from stores and sent back its entire order, which is why they're easy to find at fairly low prices ($270).

They're good hardware, but they have to have a third party Android build loaded on them before they're worth a shit.

You could root it and install stock Android.

Mercutio

The problem with that, or with any modded firmware on that tabliet, is that you lose hardware support for Flash and Divx. Viewsonic only wants to support their build of Android 2.2 and according to them anything else voids the warranty.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
As usual, David has found a neat item. Can't wait for the review.

GS

ddrueding

Fixture
Got mine from Newegg a day early. Charging now, no time to play with it.

Has anyone tried to stream network music and video to an Android tablet? I found a bunch of people trying without success.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Has anyone tried to stream network music and video to an Android tablet? I found a bunch of people trying without success.

I stream music through Subsonic on my Android phone. It will also stream video, I have tried it and it works, but don't use it regularly. It uses the browser with Flash to stream video and can transcode to lower bitrates.

It's OSS, however, you need to donate a minimum of 10€ to get a license key to use it after 30 days. It's well worth it in my opinion.

Mercutio

Why can't you just browse to a folder and play whatever music you want?
I can't say I've bothered to play video on my phone but I know I can play music that way.

ddrueding

Fixture
sorry, i guess streaming was the wrong word. i just want to watch mkv and avi video files from a network share while on my home network.

Sol

Storage is cool
I've tried out a few things on my Nook, Twonky didn't work at all for me, uPnP player worked well enough but requires another player to actually play the content. (RockPlayer worked for me where the cyanogen default player didn't)