Antec Case at bestbuy

Handruin

Administrator
I see bestbuy has the antec SX830 on sale for $79.99 and it comes with a 300 watt PS. I looked online and antec changes $89.00 + 22.00 shipping for a grand total of $111 for the same case. ISItoday.com has the chenming version of this case without power supply for $69.99 and roughly $10-$12 in shipping equaling a grand total of $80.

I don't know if I want the 300 watt PS in the antec case for my new setup, I was considering an enermax 350 watt, but it may not be necessary. Point being; does this sound like a decent deal at bestbuy? I figure the same price that ISItoday has the case for without the power supply; I'm better off getting the case from bestbuy.

Only downside is that there isn't a 80mm fan in front of the hard drive like in my chenming 901A (SX1240).

Any thoughts?

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
The case is available at www.tccomputers.com for $79.95. That's a good price at Best Buy. Why don't you want a Antec power supply?

The case does come with a fan holder infront of the hard drive holder. You can add one or move one of the two that come with the case.

I just put together a system using this case. Excellant case :)

Bozo :D

Handruin

Administrator
Bozo said:
The case is available at www.tccomputers.com for $79.95. That's a good price at Best Buy. Why don't you want a Antec power supply?

The case does come with a fan holder infront of the hard drive holder. You can add one or move one of the two that come with the case.

I just put together a system using this case. Excellant case :)

I wasn't sure if 300 watts would be enough for the new system, that's the reason why I was going to ditch the PS. I've read the PS's included with Antec cases are good, but I wasn't sure if it was enough.

So there is a fan in front of the hard drives just like the SX 1240? (minus one hard drive cage) It didn't look that way from the picture.

Even if it's the same rice at TC computers, I will have to pay at least $5 to $10 in shipping. I have a bestbuy within 5 minutes of my apartment, so I think it would work out better, unless some other online place has it cheaper.

Thanks for the info, I may go and pick the case up at some point today or tomorrow. :)

time

Storage? I am Storage!
You might find this link relevant, Doug.

http://www.hardocp.com/articles/amdtektour02follup.html

Mind you, what the Area Technical Manager says sounds slightly political. It doesn't explain why only some 250W units are approved up to XP2000.

Still, if you follow his guidelines, you will see what I have been saying for ages (and been largely ignored) - most people don't need anywhere near the capacity they are touting. 450W for a single CPU system is nothing short of ludicrous. :roll:

Handruin

Administrator
Well, I bought the case today and it impresses me just as much as my chenming 901A (antec SX1240). From the pictures it looked smaller then I imagined. It does indeed have the fan mount for the hard drive cage which is a major bonus!

It even came with 2 antec fans, but I don't know if they are any good. I'm sure now that I've bought it someone will turn up with a link that has it for much less. ;) In all it came to $83 after tax.

Now all I have to do is buy the remaining parts for it and a desk. :)

Thanks for the link time. I wasn't planning on buying a 450-watt PS. I was aiming more for a 350 for the new system, but it doesn't seem like I will need it.

___

Antec SX830 (bought) $83
EPOX EP-8K3A (REV 1.1) $93
XP 1800+ $112
Mushkin PC2700 512MB $189
INTEL 10BT/100BTX PILA8460C3 PRO/100S $29.50
PIONEER DVD-116 16X-DVD $46.00
HD (not decided yet)
VISIONTEK XTASY GEFORCE4 TI4400 $261.00 (I might have to look around for this one...it's pricey)
SONY 1.44MB $12
Soundblaster Audigy (maybe)
IIyama VM Pro 454 $400

Total so far: $1226

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I used that case for a small server:
P4 1.6gh (Northwood)
1GB DDR ram
2-Seagate X15s
Adaptec RAID
Extra fan for hard drives
WD200BB
Plextor 12/10/32
Three network cards
ATI Radeon 7500

The power supply fan never gets above a slow idle. I don't think its being stressed.

BTW, the Antec SX840 comes with a 400w power supply.

I wish we had a Best Buy around here. :(