Antec Easy SATA

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I tried a similar bay, but the lack of cooling was a problem. I now have a couple of these and one of these. (I would avoid the one with fancy display in the future.) Construction is solid and the small fan is enough to help cool the drive.

Handruin

Administrator
I tried a similar bay, but the lack of cooling was a problem. I now have a couple of these and one of these. (I would avoid the one with fancy display in the future.) Construction is solid and the small fan is enough to help cool the drive.

I think I remember you mentioning something about the fancy displays in another post. What was it about the display that you don't like? I started looking at icy dock products and wondered even what the display would be useful for. Thanks for the feedback on the drive bays like the Antec and cooling. Are the included fans quiet within those bays?

ddrueding

Fixture
Now that everything has so solidly stabilized on something with hot-plug standards, I'm waiting for Shuttle or Antec to pre-wire the drive bay and integrate this feature into the case.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I've been using Granite Digitals version, with replaceable fans on each drive, and, the front panel lets you know what the drive temperature is, and set an alarm for excessive temperatures.

http://www.granitedigital.com/satahot-swapinternalenclosure1.aspx

Given a choice, I think shutting the computer down first might allow a better shutoff, but, I haven't had many drive failures using this setup.

The fans have gone out, but, GD has shipped replacements for free.

Handruin

Administrator
Do the drives not shut down with the computer with those units? How does it measure the drive's temperature, does it use something inside the drive or does it come with its own thermometer?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I think I remember you mentioning something about the fancy displays in another post. What was it about the display that you don't like? I started looking at icy dock products and wondered even what the display would be useful for. Thanks for the feedback on the drive bays like the Antec and cooling. Are the included fans quiet within those bays?

The LCD display does not have a very good viewing angle for a nearby tower case on the floor. I prefer a simple power on and drive access light(s). The drive access indication is a goofy animation of a spinning disk. The temperature readout is the largest part of the display. I could hear the fan a little when used as an external bay outside of the case (also a useful setup). It is not as noisy as some external single drive enclosures.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
[twitterific post]I have not used them before. Sorry[/twitterific post]

Nah, that's not how you do it...way too long, lemme give you a link > pros :D.

"not used before, sorry" <<< see, no wasteful char

*much* better yet "not used B4, :(" ...yah, I see SD needs more practice, like me :D

I defer to LM, dd, & timwit :p

<edit>for us more adv techie types > "!used b4, :-("</edit>

sorry Handy, I'm delayed in responding again as usual, my main ISP still flakey as ever, still can't get access to SF more than 2wks later, other than intermittently a few short periods a day...on alternate right now :)

...sorry, what was the topic again :errr::poke:

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
You guys ever seen or used one of the Antec Easy SATA drive bays?

Ah, the classic dd bait N switch, limited details post. I'll wait until all of the qualifiers have been vetted by others (j/k :p...or am I?).

Interesting link (well, best I can project into Handy's mind, with such a brief post):

http://www.barefeats.com/hard113.html

Twitterific™ post reply^^^: "no" ...this is how we roll, SD :p

Alright, real answer...I'm a fan of wiebetech solutions:

http://www.wiebetech.com/just-say-no-to-nas/

Handruin

Administrator
sorry Handy, I'm delayed in responding again as usual, my main ISP still flakey as ever, still can't get access to SF more than 2wks later, other than intermittently a few short periods a day...on alternate right now :)

...sorry, what was the topic again :errr::poke:

Many of us already told you how to fix it. If you don't want to fix your issue, we can't help you.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
That looks interesting. I'd actually rather have a drive bay for 2x 2.5" drives right now, though. I'd be telling my customers that they're "backup cartridges" or somesuch.

Piyono

Storage is cool
I'd have to dig through my bookmarks to remember the name, but there's a company touting a device similar to what Handy was showing, only with a special backplane connector that, when the drive is being inserted, clamps down on the SATA and power connectors, as opposed to using a friction-fit coupling like most other such enclosures. The idea is to prolong the conductive life of drives' connectors, which are not, as I understand, designed for repeated insertion cycles.

Piyono

Handruin

Administrator
If you can find it, I'd be curious to see what it is and how much it costs.

Handruin

Administrator
That's a decent price too at an average of $25 per bay. I like their idea for reducing the wear on the sata port by moving it to their own. Thanks for finding the link to it.