Anyone use freeNAS

Handruin

Administrator
Has anyone played with freeNAS software to turn their PC into a NAS device (which is based off of freeBSD)? I'm curious how well it works and what kind of hardware it recognizes. I might convert my SuSe dell server into this because it looks like it might be easier to maintain and I'm curious if anyone has used this in the past?

It looks like it is pretty flexible in terms of how you setup the nas software, be it on a USB drive, floppy, or internal hard drive.

ddrueding

Fixture
I've looked at and considered several packages like this. My reasoning is as follows:

1. I'm not a linux guy, I might not be able to save my data if thhings go wrong.
2. I, and my clients, have all the MS licencing we need. This wouldn't save us any money.
3. I have not seen any evidence that this is faster than a Windows 2003 Web Edition server of the same spec. If I decided to try using an EPIA system as the core for a fileserver, I might consider it; but they don't have GbE or PCIe on those yet.

It's a neat idea, but (for me at least) it doesn't bring anything to the table other than being a cheaper solution.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I agree with ddrueding; we are a complete MS operation also. Adding a Linux system to the mix just makes more work.
Besides, our NAS devices run XP which has some distinct advantages. I use scheduled task to go and get files & folders.

Bozo :joker:

Handruin

Administrator
At least on my end I feel like I'm comfortable enough with Linux to risk this; plus I like learning more about Linux where I'd be willing to try. However, I do see your point that it's an added risk if you're not familiar with the system to be able to support it. The way I look at it is...this is how you learn new things.

Since I don't have any extended experience 2003 web edition server I can't gauge how reliable that OS is. I know this may seem dumb, but I'm ecstatic that my little dell box has the following uptime:

basket:~ # uptime
7:46am up 234 days 11:36, 1 user, load average: 1.00, 1.00, 1.00

Why am I so ecstatic? I've simply had to do nothing to this box to maintain it and it has been super-reliable (which is probably an argument to leave it alone and continue using it as a samba server). If you’re wondering why the load average is high is because of F@H (which has also been running for the entire time it's been online).

The reason I wanted to consider this tool was for easier management of the storage. I need to add more space to my dell (I've consumed the tiny 80GB) and I want to have a simple interface to add another share, etc. Anyway, it just looked like a neat solution to simplify storage management on a personal level. However, I understand both your reasoning’s not to use this tool.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Samba is a better deal. No cost for an OS. No license restrictions (XP Pro = max 10 connections, Server = Max however many connections you actually paid for). Management is very straightforward (SWAT or Webmin), can run on hardware that would be "marginal" or even utterly unable to run Windows with no degradation in performance.

Linux has an a perfectly useful scheduling service called "cron"; I don't know where someone would get the idea that program execution can't be scheduled.

Windows tools interoperate very well with Linux/Samba. I use the "Folder Sync Power Toy", MSBackup, the odd roaming profile and any number of scripts to move files both ways between Linux boxes and a Windows machines.

Maintenance? Set the box to autoupdate and disable services you aren't using (I have not used FreeNAS, but I'm guessing it's just a *nix distro with a very limited set of services and some nicer interfaces). The only time you'll have to log in is when you add storage.

If you're paying for Windows licenses just to access a file server (as is the case in a Windows 2000 Pro accessing Windows Server 2003 scenario), you're an idiot.

Handruin

Administrator
You are correct, freeNAS is a stripped down version of freeBSD. I like samba and I currently use it. However, there is something to be said about the simplicity of having the freeNAS tool manage the file shares without having to mess with Samba. I was able to get samba working fine, but it was a pain. There are several posts on here from me from many moons ago asking all sorts of questions just to get a simple file share working. If freeNAS takes care of it, then it seems like it would be worht looking into. I rarely use my SuSe box as a desktop OS, all it does is serve files.

RWIndiana

Learning Storage Performance
I downloaded and booted up FreeNAS recently. It's not all that much like Linux/BSD (even though it's based on BSD) because I didn't really have a command prompt, just menus. I played with it for about five minutes then ran out of time.

Anyway, it totally confused me, and everytime I made a mistake (hit the wrong menu number or entered an ip configuration incorrectly) I had to reboot because I didn't know how to undo anything. Yes, go ahead and laugh at me. :) I'd like to actually figure it out and use it someday as it's very lightweight. It also boots up pretty fast.

Sol

Storage is cool
I use debian for my file server at home. It's probably not as simple as it could be but I also log into the system remotely and use it to download things when I'm at work. I use EVMS to maintain most of the storage space, it has a fairly simple interface and is extremely powerful for managing drives and partitions.

I've generally found SAMBA to be faster than microsofts windows file sharing implementation, especially for lots of small files, and I've never had any problems with it apart from some issues when I had some dodgy network cards.

I've always found Linux to be a far better file server os than windows, serving files from a windows machine I'll always try to keep the file transfers down to one or two at a time as any more seems to slow the system down a huge amount, Linux seems to be able to deal with at least 6 or so connections at once with only a minor performance hit. It's so noticeably better that I often have people ask me if there is a version of samba for windows...

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Has anybody tried FreeNAS lately? This is starting to spark my interest.

Handruin

Administrator
I haven't used it in a while. I don't really have the time to try right now and my stuff is scattered all over in closets and storage, so until I get my office fully put back together some day when I move I might try it again. I've been so unmotivated to do anything computer related these past several months. :(

RWIndiana

I've been so unmotivated to do anything computer related these past several months. :(

Is therapy out of the question? This sounds like a serious ailment.

I haven't used FreeNAS lately because I'm using Linux. If all I wanted it for was file storage, and/or some of the other great things FreeNAS can do, I would switch. It's painfully easy to use.

Handruin

Administrator
It's probably never out of the question. I don't think it's a serious ailment. I've just been focusing on other things in my life, some good and some bad.

Handruin

Administrator
No, I rarely consume alcohol and don't do any types of drugs (other than occasional prescription things...never more than prescribed though).

In the good aspect I'm staying out of the house more and seeing friends (though I always have to drive because none of them live closer than 40 miles away). I have no problem interacting with people and being fun, silly, whatever normal people do. As an aside my car is 4 months old and I have over 10K miles on it already from visiting everyone...

I'm running outside whenever I have free time, which is mainly after work and on weekends. I'm eating better to aid in losing weight. I'd say I have about 13lbs remaining. I go take small hikes with my camera and I also been taking lots of other pictures of my friend's kids. The picture processing is the only real taxing thing I do with my computer any more.

The bad is that I let myself get depressed easy when really nothing is terrible in my life (I guess that means I don't appreciate things, but I do). I have way too much time to think about things and end up making myself crazy over nothing. To be 30 and have a reset in my life and feel like I've yet to make much of a difference to anyone I know doesn't sit well. I work, do a decent job, I'm nice to people, I'm usually happy, I don't steal, don't hurt people, maybe I'm a bit rude while driving because people piss me off...but I'm not really doing anything more than being another lump on life's big log. I don't really have anything else to do but continue doing the same thing every day, week, month, year. I guess I had grander plans, but I've been too lazy to do anything about them. I'm kinda sick of living in my big empty house, but hopefully soon that will be remedied. Way too much for a freeNAS thread...like usual another one gets derailed.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
...feel like I've yet to make much of a difference to anyone I know...but I'm not really doing anything more than being another lump on life's big log. I don't really have anything else to do but continue doing the same thing every day, week, month, year.
You're in very good company. I'd at least 90% of the people on this planet are in the same boat. Including your's sincerely.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
You're in very good company. I'd at least 90% of the people on this planet are in the same boat. Including your's sincerely.

x2. That has been weighing heavily on my mind for many years now.

On the NAS thing, I looked into it for a while but I make use of the box in so many other ways there is no way I could do anything other than winderz.

RWIndiana

Handy, (not to derail the thread further but) I'm sorry you feel this way. I have before as well, and I think it's accurate to say that 90% of people (probably more) have this problem or have had it. I'm going to PM you if you don't mind.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I do not use FreeNAS.

You don't have to have grand plans. Just have plans for the week. Most of us are in good positions to contribute to our communities. Big brothers/Big Sisters, Habitat for Humanity, there is still a ton of Katrina mess to clean up, community kitchens. It just takes a little bit of planning and a little bit of giving of yourself.