APC battery replacement

Handruin

Administrator
I have an APC back-ups XS 1500 that I purchased about 5 years ago. The battery is at the point where even a power flicker causes the PC to turn off...so it's basically useless right now. I looked up the replacement battery and the APC battery (model APCRBC109) is the suggested replacement battery. I've never replaced one of these before and I don't know if this is one of those things were it's recommended to go with the factory original equipment or is there a good generic replacement alternative?

Amazon looks to have a replacement that's aftermarket for $45+$11 S&H. Some commenters suggest I need to buy two of these...so it's unclear if it's $56 or $112...

Another store near me called Batteries+ has replacements in the $40 range. I suspect based on the Amazon comments that I'd also have to buy two of these.

Newegg has the APC replacement battery for $80 which appears to be the two batteries and required jumper.

Oddly enough, BestBuy has what looks like the APC branded replacement battery for $73.

Stereodude

Not really a
I've always used 3rd party batteries. I have several units that need new batteries. Generally I just open up the unit and see what's in it and then by matching replacements.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I've always used 3rd party batteries.
Me too and I've never had any trouble with those. They seem to last a reasonable amount of time, probably similar to the originals. There must be fraudulous chinese stuff out there, but I've been lucky enough to avoid it. I've always purchased my 3rd party batteries from Amazon or from a local store.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
My experience has been by the time I factor in cost for shipping, batteries are frigging heavy, and the cost, it's more cost effective to throw it in the dumpster, and buy a new one.

I will admit to returning one to Costco after 6 years. Warranty was for 7. Free ups, minus interest, and a nice, cash payout.

They get their money back from APC, and I buy a new one, that's cheaper, with better tech.