April 2012 Indonesia Earthquake

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I felt a slight swaying at 2:30 pm local time. Thought I was hallucinating, but it lasted a good 15 seconds, though barely enough to notice. My brother who lives across town (about 20 km as the crow flies) said his apartment building shook for about 5 minutes, enough for everybody to flee the building. Reports peg the magnitude between 8.7 and 8.9.

There have been aftershocks of at least 8.1.

Current TV reports say the sea is receding in Aceh; precursor to a tsunami.

Keeping fingers crossed for all coastal areas that might be affected: The west coast of Indonesia, Mayalysia, Singapore; Myanmar, Sri Lanka; the east coast of India.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I hope we don't have a repeat of 2004. That's absolutely the first thing I thought when I read about the quake.
Is safety just a matter of getting to some minimum safe distance from shoreline?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Not good. I hope we don't see piles of dead bodies and dead hard drives. :(

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I did not read about it except here. So, how many million deads did it caused? If less than one, it wasn't even worth being mentioned.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
There were aftershocks or repeat earthquakes, but no tsunami, thankfully. These were sliding type earthquakes, so they didn't generate one. I didn't see anything about casualties, so I think we got off good on this one.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Yeah they were saying that since it was a strike slip the seabed did not change elevation and so not tsunami. Good news.