ARIN IP address blocks

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I look at the fees to reserve an IP address block on ARIN's website and I'm perplex. Is that the annual cost per IP address or for the entire reserved block? Somehow, given how rare the IP V4 addresses are, I have a hard time to imagine that it only cost 2250$ to reserve 4096 of them (a /20).

That sounds correct for a /20. That probably also includes an as number and arin voting rights. Ip4 addresses are cheap. At some allocation sizes I think it works out to ~ $0.25 per ip per year. It's amazing that some folks spend thousands on nat solutions that break connectivity in order to save a couple hundred on ip addresses.

Now ip6 addresses are even cheaper. We have the standard arin /32 allocation (18,446,744,073,709,552,000 addresses) which has been free so far.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Btw, I think the current estimates are that arin will be out of ip4 addresses next year. Hopefully they will crack down on the tier 1s who have been allocating addresses to customers and not deallocating when the customers leave. We had 10+ /24's from a tier 1 that they continued to state were delegated to us years after service was discontinued. I'm sure that's common and wouldn't be surprised if half the addresses tier 1s have are not actually being used.

Once arin is out of addresses, we will likely see private exchanges for ip4 addresses. Luckily most operating systems do pretty well with ip6. The problems are feature parity at the ISP routing level and end user modems/routers. It's just a matter of a few years and ip4 will be that thing we sometimes use, but hopefully don't care too much about.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I really dislike having to type all the hex digits needed to assign a static ipv6 address. I see no good way of solving that issue.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I really dislike having to type all the hex digits needed to assign a static ipv6 address. I see no good way of solving that issue.

2607:5800::1 - not that different from 64.35.208.1

I actually find it more helpful, because I can address with a little more flexibility. E.g. Site A could be 2607:5800:a:: and site B 2607:5800:b:: and know that I'll never run out of possible sites or addresses at a site

With ip4, addressing on octet boundaries is only possible if you have either few hosts or few sites or both ( or are using non-routable addresses.