ASPI Driver v4.71 released

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Adaptec has released new ASPI drivers for Windows. Updated ASPI drivers version to Version 4.71 for Windows 98, NT 4, Me, 2000 and XP.

Grab it

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
What (specifically) would I need ASPI for? WHo uses these drivers & why?

C

Groltz

My demeaning user rank is
Clocker said:

C

From Adaptec's site:
ASPI (Advanced SCSI Programmer's Interface) is a layer of software which manages communication between all kinds of software and your peripheral devices. For CD recording software to function well with CD recorders (including ATAPI / IDE recorders!), it is important that the ASPI layer be up to date.

ASPI
Advanced SCSI programming Interface. A standard SCSI software interface that acts as a liaison between host adapters and SCSI device drivers. ASPI enables host adapters and device drivers to share a single SCSI hardware interface.

I like keeping it updated in hopes that my two SCSI CD devices (a CD-Rom and a CD-RW) will perform better.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
I use them. They were asked for me by CloneCD if I remember correctly.

One thing: if you have working ASPI layers, don't upgrade! Sometimes it makes the situation I worse... (personal experience)

cas

Learning Storage Performance
Clocker said:
Generally speaking, your programs access the SCSI devices interfaced to your HBA through SCSI class drivers. These drivers issue SCSI commands and expose the sematics of a standard hard drive, cdrom, scanner, or whatever.

If an application program would like to issue SCSI commands directly to the device, it can use ASPI to do so.

GIANT

cas said:
...If an application program would like to issue SCSI commands directly to the device, it can use ASPI to do so.

Or the antiquated CAM specification, which Adaptec eventually absconded with after burying then buying Future Domain.

James

Storage is cool
Yes, now that Nero has posted a methodology to do it. You certainly don't see Roxio or Adaptec giving you any assistance. :(

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
We have a burner box in the workshop. It burns CDs. That's it. No other function at all. (Well, Tea has put her silly F@H stuff on it, but that doesn't count.)

For a long time it ran Easy CD Cremator and a TEAC 8-speed drive (plus various Panasonic drives before that, mostly SCSI ones). Cremator used to frustrate us, so I installed a copy of Nero as well, and used that instead sometimes.

Then, in a fit of madness, I removed the excellent TEAC drive and replaced it with a 16X Mitsubushi. Now there is nothing wrong with Mitsubushi drives, but our OEM version of Easy CD Cremator won't see the 16X.Neither will the old version of Nero.

So I installed the newer Nero OEM that came with the Mitsubushi. Works as advertised.

Then it became apparent that the current Nero, so far as we are able to tell, can't handle multi-session CDs! How absolutely bloody stupid! Easy CD Cremator version bloody 2 did that!

You have, let's say, a disc with 400MB of stuff on it lying around, and you want to add a 4MB device driver you just downloaded onto it, so as to save wasting an entire blank CD on a single 4MB file. Nero can't do it! At least, Kristi and I both spent quite a while buggerising about with options and stuff, but we get two choices:

(a) "Continue multi-session CD" which doesn't work - that seems to be for when you want to burn 1200MB onto two discs.

(b) "Create a new CD" which burns the new file just fine, and makes the existing 400MB of data unreadable!

I've had at least six or eight customers complain to me about this too. And, thus far, I have no sensible answer to give them. Hell, strictly-legitimate-backing-up aside, this is the single most important and common use for a CD burner. We sell people a CDR so that they can burn (for example) their 50MB documents folder on Monday, then rename it "TuesdayDocs" and add that folder the next day, and so on. This way they:

(a) Avoid wasting $1 every time they want to do a backup

(b) Have all their stuff in one easy to find and index place. (Yes, we show them how to use several discs in rotation to avoid catastrophic loss, but I left that out above in the interest of simplicity.)

(c) Avoid the perils and expense and non-transportability of expensive, cumbersome, re-writable media, not to mention the potential horrors of those performance-sapping and stability-robbing Direct CD drivers.

(d) Have their backup on the most long-lived and cost-effective possible media.

But Nero is crippled. It won't do it! It's got a million useless fancy features, but without basic functionality they ain't worth jack shit.

So, what we did, was plug the old TEAC drive back in as well, and remove the CD reader. If we want to create an entire CD, we use Nero. (Because it's faster, it can talk to the faster drive, and it doesn't crash nearly as often as Cremator.) And if we want to copy a CD or add an extra session to an existing CD, we use the old 8-speed and Easy CD Cremator.

This sucks.

What is wrong with Ahead Software, and why is it that there seems to be no company on the whole damn planet that can make a usable CD burning program?

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
What are some more apps. that specifically require ASPI?

How does ASPI relate to my SCSI HDD? I've never missed it...

C

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Tannin said:
Then it became apparent that the current Nero, so far as we are able to tell, can't handle multi-session CDs! How absolutely bloody stupid! Easy CD Cremator version bloody 2 did that!

You have, let's say, a disc with 400MB of stuff on it lying around, and you want to add a 4MB device driver you just downloaded onto it, so as to save wasting an entire blank CD on a single 4MB file. Nero can't do it! At least, Kristi and I both spent quite a while buggerising about with options and stuff, but we get two choices:

(a) "Continue multi-session CD" which doesn't work - that seems to be for when you want to burn 1200MB onto two discs.

(b) "Create a new CD" which burns the new file just fine, and makes the existing 400MB of data unreadable!

When I click on continue multisession in Nero, it scans the CD and shows me all the existing sessions, I select the one I want to continue with and go from there. Works fine for me. Perhaps there is a problem with the OEM registration code? Depending on the reg code you enter, it gives different capabilities.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
We don't have any code to enter, Pradeep. Just install off the CD that comes with the drive. When I say "continue multisesssion" it spits out the disc - no matter which disc iis in the drive - and asks for the "right" disc. In a little while I'll go duplicate my steps and write down exactly what it does.

cas

Clocker said:
What are some more apps. that specifically require ASPI? How does ASPI relate to my SCSI HDD? I've never missed it...
I can't provide you with a comprehensive list of applications which use ASPI. The reason you have never missed it however, is that the commands for fixed disk devices are well defined. As I mentioned before, your programs can interact with the device through the disk class driver.

I suspect that if you wanted to muck around with certain mode pages, you would have to use ASPI.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
I use some video programs (Smart Ripper, etc.) which either require aspi or work better with it. Installing it has been harmless for me so far. I'm running XP Pro btw.

Platform

Clocker said:
What are some more apps. that specifically require ASPI? How does ASPI relate to my SCSI HDD? I've never missed it...

> What are some more apps. that specifically require ASPI?

Any user level application such as CD-R mastering software, tape / CD-R / M-O backup software, or the old Adaptec EZ-SCSI utility that needs to perform various SCSI commands, and nowadays ATA / ATAPI commands. ASPI gives the application and utility programmer an easier-to-deal-with abstract interface without the need to perform lower-level access of device drivers.

> How does ASPI relate to my SCSI HDD?

The old Adaptec EZ-SCSI utility used ASPI to perform certain functions with your SCSI hard drive, one of which was to enable / disable write-through caching as well as its pathetic STR benchmark function.