Asus A7M266-D with audio and LAN, how good compared to TYAN?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I can get the Asus 760MPX-based for 10$CDN less than the TYAN S2466N-4M I highly consider. The reason why I'm interested about the Asus (or Azoose? ;) ) is because of its overclocking features and because I could save around 90$CDN with overclocked MP 1800+ instead of MP 2000+ at stock frequency. Of course, I wouldn't put overclocked CPUs in a box where reliability and stability would be primordial, but for other purposes maybe (customer would be fully aware don't worry).

What I'm asking for is : "Is the Asus A7M266-D a good enthousiast board or not such a good product afterall?" I know at least one of you has this motherboard (or its MP760 predecessor). I heard a bunch of horror stories about this motherboard in the past, but some Disney-like tales too. The way I see it is that it's a bit picky on certain components (memory or graphic cards?), but runs smoothly when paired with the appropriate hardware. There's no way I'm gonna put the A7M266-D in a database server instead of the TYAN S2466N-4M, but for customers seeking a powerful yet affordable workstation, then maybe (depending on your feedback). On paper, it looks like a damn good motherboard. Tempted I am.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm not 100% sure but I think the VCore settings are only for one CPU in that board (not both). So it might not be the good Overclocking machine you think. I'm overclocking my two 1700+s to 1900+ at the stock voltage with my Tyan just using a program called SoftFSB to tweak the FSB up to 144 mhz.

I considered the Asus but decided I wanted the extra PCI slot the Tyan game me. Also, I was not impressed with the onboard sound on the Asus so I didn't really want to have to pay for that. THe onboard LAN on the Tyan is great IMO..I don't know about the Asus.

I think the Tyan is better for an enthusiast beause you have more flexibility with the PCI slots. If the Asus has vcore adjustment for both CPUs it might be a little more interesting but, in my case, I'd stick with the Tyan given I know how great it works...

C

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
In other words...it would take a lot more than a measly $10 to get me to switch (especially $10CDN!).

C

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
You know Clocker is right. I never expected to fill up the 5 PCI slots in my ASUS mobo but... here I go!

If you believe you have stuff to put (especially S-ATA adapters, TV Tuners, and a better audio card, etc.) on the PCIs then buy the ASUS.

ASUS is quality. Of course Tyan is over-the-top but from the Taiwanese brands ASUS is the best.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Prof.Wizard said:
If you believe you have stuff to put (especially S-ATA adapters, TV Tuners, and a better audio card, etc.) on the PCIs then buy the ASUS.
... the buy the Tyan

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Coug, why don't you order one and see if you like it. You will then be able to make a better decision.

The Grammar Police

Learning Storage Performance
Primordial:

earth-primordial-river-bg.jpg

'Of or pertaining to the lowest beds of the Silurian age, corresponding to the Acadian and Potsdam periods in American geology. It is called also Cambrian, and by many geologists is separated from the Silurian.' (Webster's.)

I think you mean "paramount', or perhaps 'primary'.

On the other hand, seeing as this is an ASUS board we are talking about, and given my very low opinion of Asustech's current offerings, perhaps 'primordial' is appropriate after all. :wink:

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
GP, I really think you shoud stop giving Cougtek a hard time. His English is 17 and a half light years better than your French, and roughly 50% better than that of most native English speakers.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
The Grammar Police said:
Yes. But then, on the other hand, Cougtek is a fundamemtally nice man. I ain't.

Isn't that the truth. You're just a hack-job ripoff on the OT: Police from SR. Leave Coug alone!

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
The Grammar Police said:
(Tries hard to find grammatical error in Clocker's post to pick on. Fails. :()
You must be spending too much time at the doughnut shop TGP. You missed the fact that Clocker forgot to put a question mark at the end of his first sentence in his post above.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
flagreen said:
The Grammar Police said:
(Tries hard to find grammatical error in Clocker's post to pick on. Fails. :()
You must be spending too much time at the doughnut shop TGP. You missed the fact that Clocker forgot to put a question mark at the end of his first sentence in his post above.

Naw. Retorical questions are actually declarative statements.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Thank you Clocker. I'll stick to the TYAN then.

Primordial means paramount...in french. I wasn't sure if it meant the same in both languages (like many other words) and I didn't had the time to look for the correct term.

Timwhit, I currently don't have much time to test hardware and I'm rather short on cash (waiting reply for an increase credit margin, currently too limited if I receive a big order). One of my suppliers is making me wait for an order I placed more than a week ago and customer is waiting too to pay for the parts. I hate to be in this position and I'm currently looking for a better main provider. My current one is cheap, but slow to deliver.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The above is the raw, un-previewed version of my post. I accidentaly hit "submit" instead of "preview". You can now all have an idea of my (poor) real-time written english quality.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
CougTek said:
The above is the raw, un-previewed version of my post. I accidentaly hit "submit" instead of "preview". You can now all have an idea of my (poor) real-time written english quality.
At least you don't swear... :lol:

James

Storage is cool
CougTek said:
Actually, it's not bad at all. Better than my equivalent French would be...