ATI CCC Advanced Mode on Server 2008 R2 x64

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Let's be abundantly clear: It doesn't work and I don't even see an option to enable it, nor does there appear to be a command line option or something that can invoke it.

It has worked in the past, but now it doesn't. Since I don't have advanced mode I also don't have a way to adjust my display.

I'm using the December 17th drivers. This is a new machine with a 5870 card.

This makes me sad.

Mercutio

The drivers that came with the card say "Catalyst Control Center is not supported with this graphics adapter" and will only show basic info about my card.

The driver + CCC file currently on ATI's site installs, but CCC just crashes when it loads.

The separate driver and CCC currently on ATI's site installs and CCC will run, but many of the features I know should be present in CCC are not available. Including the one I want, for HDTV adjustment.

Grrrr.

Mercutio

It looks like the new drivers are only one version newer than the ones that shipped with my card, so it's not like I have a whole bunch of options here.

I'm rather annoyed by the 1/2" border of not-display on all sides of my screen, here.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm rather annoyed by the 1/2" border of not-display on all sides of my screen, here.

I completely understand. I had the same issue for a couple weeks until the next release. I'd also like to mention that my nVidia cards didn't have this issue. :thumbleft:

Mercutio

I completely understand. I had the same issue for a couple weeks until the next release. I'd also like to mention that my nVidia cards didn't have this issue. :thumbleft:

I'll just have to be content with my 4GHz i7 with 12GB RAM, 6TB of local storage, pair of X25-Ms and the fastest video card money can buy (at least until the 5970 is actually out).

Mercutio

I've had a several system hangs. Curiously, they've all been while playing full-screen streaming video, both Flash and Silverlight.

So I can play Dragon Age for hours at a time or recode DVDs with perfect stability, even when overclocking, but fucking Youtube can crash my PC.

Weird.

Mercutio

I installed the newest set of ATI drivers (dated 1/27/2010), which did not end my problem with ATI CCC on Server 2008R2. However, removing the drivers in Device Manager and rebooting seems to have taken care of whatever weirdness it was having, because ever since then I've been able to access all the features of the ATI control panel.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I installed the newest set of ATI drivers (dated 1/27/2010), which did not end my problem with ATI CCC on Server 2008R2. However, removing the drivers in Device Manager and rebooting seems to have taken care of whatever weirdness it was having, because ever since then I've been able to access all the features of the ATI control panel.

Which os drivers did you use on 2008 r2 Merc? Can't get the CCC to work on 2003 x64 SP2.

Mercutio

Which os drivers did you use on 2008 r2 Merc? Can't get the CCC to work on 2003 x64 SP2.

2003 x64 should use XP64 drivers. I used the Vista/Win7 64-bit driver.

Now, here's the NEW weirdness: Everything was fine after my initial reboot. My display was perfect. Then I rebooted again, and my 2D display started tearing like there is some sort of vertical sync issue. I had eight "lines" across my display where data was slightly duplicated from an area maybe 10 pixels to the left of that position.

I played with CCC for about an hour and got it to go away, but the settings don't survive a reboot.

Eventually I decided to revert to the December drivers and use my display without CCC.

I really need to test this card on a desktop Windows system. Maybe I'll do that later this weekend.

Handruin

Administrator
Driver issues with ATI cards is one of the big reasons why I fear switching back. They've never really impressed me with their driver software, CCC turd, cleanup process, etc. Ever since I moved back to nVidia, it's been drama-free and seamless for the past few years.

Mercutio

I've never - NEVER - had an issue with ATI's drivers on Windows. Certainly nothing like this. It seems to be specific to the 5870; I'm not having these problems with my 4870x2.

Mercutio

Nope.

Though at the moment I'm very happy for my SSDs and TrueImage, which made finding out and switching back a lot easier.

ddrueding

Fixture
Interesting bit here. I still can't get my 5870 to detect my other monitors. I have three connected (42" LCD via HDMI (detected), 27" LCD & 24" LCD via DVI (not detected)). The other two screens don't appear at all. I just re-installed the latest drivers and Hydravision, and still no luck.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Interesting bit here. I still can't get my 5870 to detect my other monitors. I have three connected (42" LCD via HDMI (detected), 27" LCD & 24" LCD via DVI (not detected)). The other two screens don't appear at all. I just re-installed the latest drivers and Hydravision, and still no luck.

Does your card support Eyefinity? My understanding is that to do this you need two monitors connected via DVI and/or HDMI and the third via displayport. The 5000 series currently having two timing sources for displays, DP provides the third.

Not all cards can do the three monitor Eyefinity.

ddrueding

Fixture
Does your card support Eyefinity? My understanding is that to do this you need two monitors connected via DVI and/or HDMI and the third via displayport. The 5000 series currently having two timing sources for displays, DP provides the third.

Not all cards can do the three monitor Eyefinity.

Quite so:

I've done more research, and it looks like I'll be needing to buy an active converter. The reason seems to be around TMDS, which is the signal coding used to translate data to a monitor.

TMDS is the code standard for DVI and HDMI signals. Display port uses an entirely different standard, and thus has it's own coding chip. The signal over DP is not compatible with either DVI or HDMI. The 5800 cards only contain 2 TMDS coding chips, and one DisplayPort chip.

Since there's only 2 TMDS chips, the 3rd signal has to be a DisplayPort Signal, since that the only signal left to send. If you want to use three monitors, you need to send signals through all through all 3 coding chips => 2x TMDS +DP

So if you only have 2 DVI/HDMI monitors hooked up, whatever ports are being used will utilize those TMDS circuits to send signals to your monitors. If you only use one DVI plug and route a DP signal through a cheap passive DVI/HDMI plug, the card will look to teh reciving monitor and handshake TMDS through the DisplayPort plug.

But to transmit to 3 monitors you need to transmit through both TMDS signals, and the 3rd DisplayPort signal. The TMDS chips don't care what port they send a signal through, however teh DisplayPort signal can only be sent over the DisplayPort plug.

If you have a 3rd monitor without a DP plug, the monitor will not be able to understand a DP signal. That's why you need an active converter that transcodes the DP signal into TMDS. Once the DP signal is actively converted into TMDS and sent through DVI or HDMI, the monitor will then understand it.

This sucks.

ddrueding

Fixture
I seem to be running into a different issue. Only the HDMI port works. Ever. Even shutting down, disconnecting all the cables, and reconnecting only one of the DVI monitors yields no video. Leaving it on and plugging in the HDMI instantly brings it up. Tempted to order an active DisplayPort adapter ($100 from Dell) and see, but I'm discouraged by my other connectivity issues.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
To follow up on the driver issues with 2003 (which admittedly isn't on the list of supported ATI OSs), it's been running like a dream on Win 7. Wouldn't hesitate recommending it to anyone looking for a video card in the $150-$180 range.

Mercutio

... and as of this morning the fan in my 5870 is audible even when my display is completely off and the machine is idle.

Since absolutely nothing else in my bedroom makes any noise, it's officially the loudest thing in the room and that pisses me off to no end.

Mercutio

I just bought a Scythe Musashi for mine, but I'm more than halfway tempted to just RMA the card. There is an nvidia-like level of fail in having a fan crap out on a more-than-$400 card that's only 90 days old.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Merc, what is the fan speed % indicated in CCC? Is it on auto?

ATI have to start renaming old shit and pushing it out to unknowing customers as "state of the art", in addition to knowingly supplying seriously defective desktop and laptop GPUs (bumpgate), to get anywhere close to nv levels of fail.

Mercutio

CCC still fucks up if I load it on this machine, so it isn't loaded. I have the ATI display driver, but not CCC. So it's on whatever the hell speed the fan defaults to.

And yeah, I got in and blew the fan out this morning the moment I realized I could hear the damned thing.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
My understanding is that whilst the 5870 is significantly quieter than a dustbuster like the 4870X2, the reference design does produce audible noise.

Has anything happened to your ambient temps?

Mercutio

No, they're stable and low.

My 4870x2 is and always has been audible, but not intolerably so. It's a very low hum at idle. It does get loud when I'm gaming but of course at that point I'm gaming and there's enough noise from whatever game to cover it up. Maybe it stays loud for five or ten minutes after I quit playing. I can accept that, especially since it's not in the room where I sleep.

My 5870 was initially inaudible but is now making "bearing is starting to crap out"-noises; it could probably use an oiling. That's not something I expect to be doing on a brand new premium card. Frankly if I'm going to pull the HSF off that thing, it's staying off and I'm going to put a better cooling solution and a better set of fans on it.

My card is an XFX, by the way. Guess I should've bought the Sapphire.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Figured out your problem Merc, time for upgrade:

14379_2.jpg

"The Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5970 has 4GB of on-board memory of the GDDR5 flavor. It uses a Sapphire Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme cooler packed with three fans and four copper heat pipes. That massive cooler should keep the card running nice and cool."

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/14379/sapphire_hd_5970_with_4gb_of_vram_at_cebit/index.html

ddrueding

Fixture

ddrueding

Fixture
I've already gotten one of the "active" USB-powered DP adapters, and it blinks out about 4 times a day. Once a week it doesn't come back until I remove the adapter, plug it back in, and re-add the screen in windows. Not having the timing chip as part of the GPU is dumb. DP sucks. How much would it really cost to add enough hardware to drive 6 DVI/HDMI displays? As a percentage of a $1k+ video card?

Handruin

Administrator
Why does DP suck? I've have two systems that I use it with my single monitor and never have an issue. The cable is smaller than DVI so I can that as being useful for fitting six of the on the back of a video card.

ddrueding

Fixture
It seems there are quite a few compatibility issues out there, mainly due (it seems) to the fact that the timing is produced on the device and not the GPU. This sounds like a design fault. Further, they are introducing an inferior (no audio), incompatible (adapters tend not to work and are not cheap) product to HDMI/DVI which was going just fine. Vendors seem to be jumping on board because of the licensing fees associated with HDMI, but they are just fragmenting the market.

I'm basically just annoyed at ATI for choosing the cheaper option over the more commonly used option, and annoyed at DisplayPort for future complications and expense in my home theater rigs.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
They added audio to the latest revision of Display Port - > DP 1.2 supports the same types of audio as HDMI when playing back for example blu-ray content. At least in theory. There will never be DisplayPort receivers. Personally I see DisplayPort continuing in the PC industry, particularly given it is possible to daisychain four 1080p displays off a single DP connector. However, in the CE space, HDMI 1.4 continue to lead the way and offer backwards compatibility.

The 5700/5800 series ATI cards should be good to go for DP audio with the latest Catalyst release:

"- ATI Catalyst™ support for DisplayPort audio "

ATI Catalyst Display Driver v 10.2 for Windows 7 64-bit