ATI officially launch Radeon X1900 lineup

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Isn't there an external power supply involved too? Or isn't that the super high end one only? Whatever, I rather like nvidia at the moment for 3D. At least they can deliver product to people (for the moment anyway).

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'm sure the damned thing sounds like a leafblower, but being a 16xPCIe card, at least all that cooler is blocking is a useless 1xPCIe slot.

The thing that strikes me most is how completely fucking insane the PC hardware press is about this hardware. This is a $500 part, and they're talking about it like it's a mainstream essential for gaming, while just released X1600s and X1800s - plenty fast and still plenty expensive, I note - are relegated to the dustbin.

I think I resent the tone of every article I've just read. They're ALL like that.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I just upgraded to an X850 XT which has a similar looking two-slot cooler. Except for at startup, the fan is really quite quiet -- and I've run the GPU above 55C. And it doesn't dump all of that heat inside my case. If this new card has the same setup, I don't see that as an issue.

The problem with Crossfire isn't so much the external cables, but that you have to go through that effort *and* you still have to get an ATi-based motherboard. There aren't any really good reasons that Crossfire can't work on any board that has the appropriate slots (say, one of nVidia's SLI chipset boards) -- but it doesn't.

If you consider that the latest and greatest video card is the hottest thing since the previous and now not-so-great video card, you can understand (and therefore ignore) the hype.