ATI releases Catalyst 3.8

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Get it here.

If you have time to kill, you can always read the release notes.

The CATALYST™ software suite 3.8 contains the following:

* RADEON™ display driver 7.94
* MULTIMEDIA CENTER™ 8.7
* HydraVision™ 3.21
* HydraVision™ Basic Edition 3.25
* Remote Wonder 2.1
* WDM version 3.09
I have expérienced no problem so far, but since the only thing I did since I installed it was to reboot my PC and fire up my browser, it might not be very much telling.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
VPU recovery looks like a happy thing, as does TV overscan support, but the known issues indicate that 3.8 introduces bugs into Half-Life and Quake3. I don't think gamers will like that very much.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The Red Hill quatuor wil be happy to learn that ATI has integrated a competent uninstaller with the latest version of their Catalyst drivers.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I don't think anything with the label ATI could make them happy in any way, especially Tannin. Although, Tea is a bit more flexible at times then the old man.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
CougTek said:
The Red Hill quatuor wil be happy to learn that ATI has integrated a competent uninstaller with the latest version of their Catalyst drivers.

You've already uninstalled it?!

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
No, but I read this (middle of the page) and I figure it must be true.
Arguably the most requested CATALYST feature is some form of an uninstaller, a utility that will wipe all traces of previous ATI drivers from the operating system so the end user can start fresh with a newer driver. Well, guess what folks, CATALYST 3.8 provides this! Simply click the executable, and all ATI-related software is removed from the system, including the driver and control panel.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Uninstalling ATI drivers has traditionally NOT been easy. There's an uninstall utility that's been on ATI's site forever, but to be honest, I've heard of it not doing a complete job.

In response I say both "Who cares about 10 extra lines in the registry?" but some misbegotten nvidia-likers swear up and down that causes problems.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
3.9 is on the ATI site now.

Any recommendation as to what version I should install on my AIW9600 that just arrived? The included CD or 3.9? Or the CD to get going & then upgrade?

There's no noticeable indication on the CD what the driver version is; the disk is labelled 180-V01071-200.

Once installed, all I'll have to do is punch a hole in the wall between my den and the family room and I can use my A/V rig.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Easier to install 3.9 now on your virgin machine, rather than screw around upgrading what's on the CD later.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Thanks. I was thinking as much, but wondered if anyone had any positive or negative things to say about 3.9.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Stock 3.9s have issues with All-in-Wonder cards. ATi put out an updated driver with a fix.

I'll rumage around Rage3d and see if I can find the link.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
There's no patch. ATi simply released the then-current version of their drivers with the necessary fix.

Some have reported bug fixes and additional OpenGL compliance with the "hotfix" drivers.