Backplane-Compatible 2.5" to 3.5" Mounting Adapters

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Most 2.5" to 3.5" drive mounting adapters leave the connectors in the middle, which means that you can't use them with a backplane.

I found this from IcyDock, but it only has air vents on the front and back, and there are a number of complaints with its tool-less design.

Does anyone know of any better options?

ddrueding

Fixture
I've only used them in combination with SSDs, so I could cheat and tape them onto the caddies. If I had to worry about vibrations and cooling, not sure what I would do.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I have a friend that I was helping to repurpose some equipment. I had mentioned using 2.5" disks for cooling and noise considerations, but the drives are mounted using a bracket, not any kind of sled or caddy. Otherwise, the tape idea might do.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
My 2.5" SSD is dangling in the bottom of the case where the dust accumulates. It is not an example of fine mounting practice. :D

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Sure that is fine, but I don't like removing adhesive residue every time the drive is replaced.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
For my X25-Ms I cut holes for the power and SATA connectors in their shipping boxes and used tape and strips of cardboard to make the whole assembly into something I could screw in to a 3.5" bay.