Bad news for AMD fanboys??

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
S939 Opterons were a dumb idea to start off... it's just finally caught up with them.

It's not nearly as bad as building your core product on ever-increasing clock speed *and* ever-increasing waste heat.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
It is a shame though. The Opteron 165 was going to give me the opportunity to upgrade to dual-core sooner than I otherwise might have.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I think the s939 Opteron were a great way for AMD to get rid of their lower grade Opteron cores. They might have been stuck with them otherwise or they would have had to sell them for even less than they did by making them compatible with s939.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
It looks like this was all a rumour. AMD has denied that they are going to stop shipping 939-pin Opterons, maintaining that they'll be available through 2006.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
The market for S939 Opterons is the same as for S939 Athlon64 chips.

Generally, if you're building on the cheap, you'll get an Athlon; and, if you're after performance and overclockability, you'll get the Opteron. Why bother having two mutually interchangeable lines, pretending one is somehow professional grade?

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
sechs said:
The market for S939 Opterons is the same as for S939 Athlon64 chips.

Generally, if you're building on the cheap, you'll get an Athlon; and, if you're after performance and overclockability, you'll get the Opteron. Why bother having two mutually interchangeable lines, pretending one is somehow professional grade?

Because anything with marketable with the server tagline gets additional markup. Isn't that the whole point of their 1xx Opteron line competing with the Athlon64 regardless of the socket type. Why decline the extra $$$ from those that are willing to give it?

Gilbo

Storage is cool
Exactly. And since uniprocessor servers aren't often packed with gobs and gobs of RAM, using registered memory is an unnecessary expense.

It might also have something to do with the extent to which the onboard memory controller has matured. Just about all the old restrictions are gone now. For example, a Sempron I just bought for a friend had no trouble with Memtest at DDR400 with 3 double-sided DIMMs.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
sechs said:
Then why not keep them S940?

Intel doesn't play the game that way.

Intel is not the umpire of how the game is supposed to be played: Conflict of interest and all that would get in the way. If you have any doubts, examine the Intel-AMD lawsuit.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Keep in mind, this is a bit like Calvinball.

Despite having inferior products, Intel is still winning. There must be something to their strategy.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I have been reading about Bensley (Intel's upcoming dual-core Xeon). It has potential to equal or exceed the performance of the current dual-core Opteron's at least at the single-chip level. They will still be hotter and I don't know how it will do with multiple chips, yet. But Intel's at least trying to catchup. It's really hard, when you have been caught with your pant's below your knees.