question Bad SSD

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I have three of the Crucuial 960GB SSDs and the newest one exhibits a strange behavior. After a short burst of a GB or so at a typical 400MB/sec., the write speed slows down dramatically to about 80GB/sec. Read speeds are always normal and there are no write/read or surface errors on the drive. Unfortunately the drive is beyond any return period so I'm not sure what to do. Will Micron replace the drive without a documentable defect? Thanks.

LunarMist

Do you have write caching disabled?

I don't think so. Why would that one drive be slow in a computer and also in a Nexto ND2730? Is the write caching something that resides in the drive itself? I thought it was in the OS.

ddrueding

Fixture
IIRC, drives that are considered external go into the safer mode. Even internal drives (if they are on an add-on controller) can have this issue.

Drive-Caching.png

LunarMist

There is no removal poilcy box, but the write cahing is on as described. It is connected to an LSI 6GB SAS controller. In the ND-2730 the transfer rate is 80MB/sec. with the other SSDs but only 40 something with the odd one. I have no idea what OS it uses, but it is in firmware, not on the drive.

LunarMist

How does one contact Micron for replacement SSDs? Are the Newegg drives sold without warranty? :mad: The Micron support section is for engineers for something.

LunarMist

Are you talking about Micron (The chip manufacturer) or Micron Technologies (The ODM that sells stuff as Crucial)? If the latter, IIRC you do it via the Crucial website... http://www.crucial.com/contact/

:doh: It is labeled Crucial. Will they force me to do any testing or update the FW before returning it? (All three of the drives are the older MU02, not MU03, but the other two are fine.) I'm concerned that they will have excuses that awful performance is normal as long as it is working. Advice please. Thanks.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I assume you've already read this: http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-S...o-be-so-much-faster-What-happened/ta-p/118310

Otherwise call them... I would highly suspect that you would want you to update the firmware and rerun the tests before returning it. Also have you performed a secure wipe on the drive and retesting? As for testing, I'm sure they will have you run a series of tests before replacing it under warranty.

LunarMist

I assume you've already read this: http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-S...o-be-so-much-faster-What-happened/ta-p/118310

Otherwise call them... I would highly suspect that you would want you to update the firmware and rerun the tests before returning it. Also have you performed a secure wipe on the drive and retesting? As for testing, I'm sure they will have you run a series of tests before replacing it under warranty.

The firmware updater claims there are no drives to update. Look at this clusterf*** of a write performance. $500 down the toilet. :rambo:

M500_960_Bad.png

ddrueding

Fixture
Are you confident that that tool is able to accurately measure SSDs? Does that graph reflect your real-world experience with the drive?

LunarMist

Are you confident that that tool is able to accurately measure SSDs? Does that graph reflect your real-world experience with the drive?

It's very slow, about 80MB or less in the computer and downloads in the Nexto are 1/2 normal speed.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
The firmware updater claims there are no drives to update.
It is connected to an LSI 6GB SAS controller.
This is why... IIRC, most firmware programs only work reliably off AHCI/IDE controllers and not off SAS controllers... (That's been my experience anyway).

The performance is certainly below par and may be a symptom of a bad controller or bad cache on the drive. Contact Crucial and get an RMA for it.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.

I would have said the same, but there are 3 drives and only 1 is acting slow in the same config. IMHO that rules out the drive controller, OS, etc and pinpoints the issue as the drive.

LunarMist

This is why... IIRC, most firmware programs only work reliably off AHCI/IDE controllers and not off SAS controllers... (That's been my experience anyway).

The performance is certainly below par and may be a symptom of a bad controller or bad cache on the drive. Contact Crucial and get an RMA for it.

I will try another controller (laptop), but it does not explain the same problem in the Nexto. I purchased the drive for that purpose and now am trying to find another use for it.

LunarMist

I will SybaMarvell controller for the removable drives. I was planning that anyway..

LunarMist

I placed the drive in a laptop (ivy Bridge) and updated the firmware. Now the drive is faster but still not the greatest. It has suddenly developed 1 reallocated sector and there are 17 reallocated events. :tdown:

28-January-2014_22-47.png 28-January-2014_22-55.png