Bad Windows updates

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I have my Win XP Pro install set to tell me when there are updates. I then allow it to download them after reviewing the updates. (I skip the Outlook stuff since I don't have Outlook installed, but it shows up everytime anyway and I have to check the box that says don't show this one anymore). Then allow it to install when it prompts me to.

Around the end of March, I let it download and install an update. After it got done installing and rebooted, it kept repeatedly showing it again - KB929338. After several download / install attempts, I downloaded the file manually, executed it manually and rebooted. It started prompting yet again, and I told it to skip that update and not to show it anymore.

Today the story repeats, with yet another update: KB931784.

What the crap is going on?

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I think not. Is there a way to check?

But there was something I downloaded a while back that said it was available only for genuine users, and I downloaded and executed that Genuine Check program, which I believe is different from the one you referred to. Did the Genuine Advantage get installed in the process? I honestly don't know. Do you think that is the problem? Or do you think that these two updates don't seem to get installed because I don't have the big-brother type Microsoft Genuine Advantage update installed?

:confused:

ddrueding

Fixture
Genuine Advantage, if you choose not to install it, is re-added to the list over and over again. I don't know if this happens when you do install it, because my systems are either automatic (and I allow it, obviously) or manual (and I deny it every time).

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I think not. Is there a way to check?

But there was something I downloaded a while back that said it was available only for genuine users, and I downloaded and executed that Genuine Check program, which I believe is different from the one you referred to. Did the Genuine Advantage get installed in the process? I honestly don't know. Do you think that is the problem? Or do you think that these two updates don't seem to get installed because I don't have the big-brother type Microsoft Genuine Advantage update installed?

:confused:

I'm not sure, that is why I would make sure it is installed. You should be able to look at your udpate installation history.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I had a similar problem in the past. I manually uninstalled the updated and then let WindowsUpdate install it again. All was well afterward.

C

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Buck,

In C:\Windows, there are logs for each update; I presume you meant for me to look at these? Logs for both updates are identical. There is a repeating pattern, and at one point there are ~ 22 consecurive lines that say:

Code:
 KB929338 Setup encountered an error:  The  update.ver file is not correct.
There are also a bunch of lines that say "failed" in them somewhere in each repeating set.

Clocker,

How did you uninstall? Did you go into the hidden folder that looks like $NtUninstallKB929338$, then into the folder that says spuninst, then execute the spuninst.exe file in there?

In the case of KB931784, there are 4 additional files in $NtUninstallKB931784$:
ntkrnlmp.exe
ntkrnlpa.exe
ntkrpamp.exe
ntoskrnl.exe

Thanks.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I don't fully remember. :Q

I either did what dd says above or manually downloaded the update file from the MS website. IIRC, if you manually download the update, when you go to run it, it will ask you if you want to repair or uninstall it. I think I chose the uninstall option and then, after that was done, rebooted and then went to WindowsUpdate to reinstall the update.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...C4-E3A1-411A-9C9B-DC23923D09E7&displaylang=en

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks all.

Darn, I didn't even realize that check box was there in the add/remove programs window! Thanks DD. And Buck and Clocker too.

When I attempted to remove KB929338, it warned me that a whole bunch of programs would not work correctly, so I chickened out and cancelled the uninstall.

It did remove KB931784 without an issue. I installed it manually again (I had previously downloaded it). Then that darn icon showed up again, saying updates are ready to be downloaded, and it was this KB again. Like I did in March with KB929338, I told it not to show this update again.

I guess when SP3 comes out I'll have to slipstream it and go thru the pain of reinstalling it all over again.