Best drive imaging software?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I have to setup computers before they ship to clients. Often-times, the POS Maxtor Calypsos inside will shit the bed within a few months, and the client has to setup the PC again, using the provided Dell OS CD, and various CDs that we provide. Big headache in terms of support.

Ideally, I would setup the PC once, and burn a CD/DVD with the image, which I could a) provide to the client with machine, for easy system re-install, and b) use myself, to setup machines before shipment.

Is the current version of Ghost (10?) any good for this sort of thing? I'm averse to Norton, if there is anything better please let me know. Seems like Ghost 10 needs activation after 15 days?

TIA, Pradeep

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
True Image runs directly from the CD (creates and restores images) and does not require installation. Once installed it can be used to make bootable recovery CDs/DVDs. TI seems to be easy to use even for the computer novice.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'd suggest using sysprep + ghost 9, since you can install apps and still generate proper SIDs for your PCs.

Ghost 10 is the same thing as whatever the last version of Drive Image Pro was. It still runs ghost 9 for dealing with Ghost Image files.

The main reason I prefer Ghost 9 is cost. I buy Ghost licenses for around $8 per machine, which means it's always available as a backup/recovery tool.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Merc, you have your numbers switched up.

Ghost 9 is based upon Drive Image. Ghost 8 is the last version actually based on Ghost.

Having used Drive Image previously, I think that it's a piece of crap. Ghost 9 looks the same. The older versions of Ghost are much better, in my opinion.