Best FREE screen capture software.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I was asked about a screen capture program today, but last time I checked that was what, four years ago? I need something a bit better than Alt-PrintScreen and copy to a drawing program.

I did a quick research on Google, but I don't feel like trying a few tens of softwares to evaluate the pro/cons of each of them.

Since I trust (most of) you, I'll limit my quest to the utilities you'll suggest here. So, what are your favorite tools for capturing a screen or a single window?

Handruin

Administrator
Irfanview does a decent job of screen capturing. I've been using it for years, but i still do alt+prnt scrn and then paste it into this tool. It otherwise has features to screen capture if you don't like the keyboard commands. Give it a try...I know Groltz said he likes the tool also, so maybe he can give his opinion on it.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
I've used MWSnap and have been happy with it. I use it on W2k; product page says it works with XP, but last release was 07/2002.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I often use Irfanview, but I didn't realize it had screen capturing features other than the alt-print screen combo. I'll see how it works and I'll download MWSnap too. Thanks.

Handruin

Administrator
For Irfanview, it's under the drop down menu: "Options > Capture/ScreenShot...". Then it opens the dialog to customize the options.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I used to use the free version of PrintScreen 2000. It eventually went shareware but the free version is fine.