Best Ingredient for Single Topping Pizza

Best topping for a One-Topping Pizza

• Total voters

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
After a grueling eight weeks of research, tonight I have concluded that the best single-ingredient pizza, at least at the Papa John's pizzaria that's 107 steps from my apartment door, is a very unlikely candidate.

Therefore, I feel that I must share my findings with my friends here at StorageForum.

That best topping for a single-ingredient pizza is...

Onions

Most of the toppings on a pizza either overtake the blend of sauce, crust and cheese, or else they are masked by it. The slightly sweet onion, however, is marvelously complimentary to all of the above. Simply put, the onion-only pizza from Papa John's is probably the best I've ever had from a large chain restaurant.

Second place, incidently, is jalepeno pepper.

In the interests of science and peer review, I urge all of you to conduct your own research, and to report your findings in this extremely important matter.

Handruin

Administrator
I almost voted hamburg as my choice, but I went with olives. I know you didn't specify, but my choice of olives is black.

I can't stand peppers or onions so both choices are out for me. If I am to get mushrooms they need to be with something else because of their taste.

I find that black olives throw a good mix of taste into a plain cheese pissa. I personally will eat any type of meat (except fish) on a pissa when we are talking single topping.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Funny...we just had pizza tonight....with HAM!

C

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Jalepeno pepper. But it wasn't a choice, so I picked green pepper. I know the title says single-topping, but my favorite type of pizza is the veggie-lover's kind, with every veggie topping available. Liberally sprinkle crushed red pepper on top of all that. You taste buds go crazy.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Pradeep said:
Venison hamburger, delicious. Out tomorrow morning to get some more.

Heh heh...muzzle-loader or bow? Or is firearm season still open out there?

C

slo crostic

Learning Storage Performance
Fresh oregano and/or basil. Not too much, but just enough to bring out the flavours of the tomato base and compliment the creaminess of the mozarella.
I sometimes like a tiny little sprinkle of ham on top so when the pizza is cooked the ham goes burnt and crispy for a bit of added flavour and texture.

SteveC

Storage is cool
If I had to get one topping, it would be mushrooms, but my favorite is plain, New York-style from a brick oven (the brick oven makes a difference). In my town of approximately 3.5 square miles, we have about 40-50 pizza places. Every once in a while, one of the national chains will open up, but they never last more than a year or two. They simply can't compare to a real New York-style pizza. And yes, I had pizza tonight.

Steve

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The one true pizza is a thick crust, stuffed pizza from Chicago. You New York-pizza types just refuse to acknowledge progress.

SteveC, if you ever make it out this way, I'll put a pie from Gino's East or Eduardo's in front of you, and you'll learn the error of your ways.

:)

SteveC

Storage is cool
Mercutio said:
The one true pizza is a thick crust, stuffed pizza from Chicago. You New York-pizza types just refuse to acknowledge progress.
Bah, progress. Pizza is meant to be able to be folded and eaten with one hand while on the go.

Mercutio said:
SteveC, if you ever make it out this way, I'll put a pie from Gino's East or Eduardo's in front of you, and you'll learn the error of your ways.

:)
And if you're every in North Jersey, I'll take you one many real New York-style pizzerias.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
I once made chicken pizza, it was the best pizza I have ever had. I marinated the chicken in oil, water, and vinagar(I think it was 1 part water, 1 part vinegar and 2 parts oil)... with some crushed up garlic (you can never add too much) for about 3 hours and then grilled the chicken over a low flame.

After cooking add plenty of oregano, basil, and tyme.

Cut the chicken into strips with a knife or scissors and top this onto a tripple cheese pizza from freschetta(frozen) or papa johns and you have a real treat. I think adding grilled tomato would taste good too.

I have tried numerous times, but fail to make my own pizza from scratch that can compare to a papa johns or a good frozen pizza such as Freshetta or Di'Giorno.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Olives or Onions.

I once made chicken pizza, it was the best pizza I have ever had. I marinated the chicken in oil, water, and vinagar(I think it was 1 part water, 1 part vinegar and 2 parts oil)... with some crushed up garlic (you can never add too much) for about 3 hours and then grilled the chicken over a low flame.

If it took three hours to prepare you must have been so hungry that my slipper would have tasted nice. Your claims about it being the best pizza are therefore disregarded :p

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
actually, I grilled the chicken the night before and ate it for dinner. The rest of it I topped onto a freshetta and brought into work the next morning... (I had prepared extra chicken specifically for this purpose)

Grilling chicken breast is not all that hard to prepare... you simply have to know (1) you must marinade in advance (2) you put the chicken on while the grill is still cold (3) cook the chicken over a low flame (4) turn the chicken often and don't over cook it.

You can tell if the chicken is done by slicing into it with a knife @ the thickest part. If the meat is white it's done, if the meat still looks raw..... pinkish and see translucent.... well keep on going.

I prefer boneless chicken breast(if it's on sale) and I have found that there are a variety of pre-mixed marinade packets @ the grocery store; all you have to do is add water, oil, and/or vinegar.

JSF

What is this storage?
I love pizza but rarely eat it. It is a source of GIRD for me and I consider it one of the major contributors to the fattening of USA. In pizza’s birthplace it is made thin, thereby dramatically reducing its carbohydrate content.

I have never ordered a single topping pizza because I like sausage, mushrooms, black olives and onions equally. If I had to order a single topping, I would request a low fat protein like chicken or Canadian style bacon for nutrition, but for taste I probably would choose a fat-loaded sausage.

The descriptions of pizza by blakerwry and Slo Crostic made me hungry. I choose to ignore NRG’s commnent because 3 hours for marinating is hardly unreasonable.

The big surprise here is Clipton’s choice. For someone whose first preference is Hawaiian pizza, pesto seems incongruous. There are a lot of pesto substitutes out there. Clipton, are you referring to classic pesto made from fresh basil, olive oil, garlic, pignoli (pine nuts), grated parmesan, salt and pepper? It could be an interesting pizza topping.

Joe

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
I choose to ignore NRG’s commnent because 3 hours for marinating is hardly unreasonable.

I didn't mean it was unreasonable - just that I find that I can never get myself to cook anything unless I'm starting to get hungry - and if it took 3 hours I'd eat it - and think it was good - whether or not it was :)

But thats just me.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
BTW, there was a big cooking thread at Ars Technica some time ago - I'm about to go check if it still exists.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
For Papa Johns pizza I like ham and pineapple the best. For frozen pizza (I buy Jacks because they are cheap), I like Mexican style the best. For Aurelio's, (I'm sure you've heard of them Mercutio) I like Pepperoni the best.

Aurelio’s makes by far the best pizza in the world. They are a smaller franchise in the south suburbs of Chicago and northern Indiana. But, they also have opened restaurants in Denver and Nevada. If you ever have the chance to eat there do it. Consequently the best Aurelio's is in Homewood, but I have not eaten at many of the other ones.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Ira female equivalent, Aurelia, ws also the name of an old Lancia car.

OK, I'll shut up now :mrgrn:

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
blakerwry said:
I know a guy named Aurelio. He is my girlfriend's grandfather. Classic Italian name...
Confirming that. One of the most famous avenues here in Rome is Via Aurelia... :)

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
By the way, talking about pizza, Italians say the best pizza is the Margherita.

It's actually the 1st pizza ever made, baken for Queen Margherita of Italy in the last years of the 19th century, in Naples (of course). It is the simplest of all pizzas, having only tomato and mozzarella... AND IT IS DIVINE!

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
And a question of semantics... I didn't quite get the hamburger as an ingredient of pizza. :-? :roll:

You mean ham? Cause hamburger for me is the Big Mac... I guess you Americans have weird tastes, but that would go too far for your already overweight population... hehe...

PS. Papa John when I was in the States last year was indeed very good in pizzas...

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
There is a Sicilian (the owner, Sonny, is of Sicilian heritage (first generation born in the US)) pizza and pasta place near me that is my favorite. My favorite from them is there pizza (all of which have a thin, crispy crust) with tomato sauce, mozzarella, and pepperoni (herbs included). But what makes the pizza and his pasta dishes so special (for me) is the sauce. I have never tasted a sauce like his.

Tea said:
You didn't list my favourite single toppings, such as hamandcheeseandtomato or tomatoandpepperandolivesandanchovies!
With grammar like that you'd think you were German. They love piling words together in order to make one longer and more difficult to pronounce word.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Clocker said:
Pradeep said:
Venison hamburger, delicious. Out tomorrow morning to get some more.

Heh heh...muzzle-loader or bow? Or is firearm season still open out there?

C

Regular season is open till Tuesday. Didn't get anything today but a friend got an 8 point buck. That brings our group total to 7 does and 2 bucks, with over 400 pounds of venison to fill our freezers. The meat from todays catch will be given to someone who hasn't had any luck yet. We saw a doe and two fawns but let them go, better to let them grow and see how they are next year.

Dozer

Website
planetdozer.dyndns.org
Venison bratwurst is one of the tastiest things I've ever eaten. My dad has a friend in Northern Wisconsin who gets several deer each season and has it made by a local butcher. My mouth is watering just thinking about it...

The best single topping: cheese. I love plain cheese pizza, with lotsa cheese please. Or four-cheese works (but does that count as more than a single topping? :))

My favorite multi-topping: Ham and pineapple (or Hawaiin, as some call it).

The best pizza on earth is from a little pizza joint in Elmhurst, Illinois called Giacchino's. Not sure if they're still in business, but they have the best stuffed crust I've ever eaten. Too bad Chicago is several hundred miles away. Chattanooga's pizza pales in comparison.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
We made the sausage with 50% venison and 50% pork, with spice mix packets added. Also it is all double minced for that melt in your mouth goodness :)

Dozer

Website
planetdozer.dyndns.org
JSF said:
are you referring to classic pesto made from fresh basil, olive oil, garlic, pignoli (pine nuts), grated parmesan, salt and pepper? It could be an interesting pizza topping.

At a local joint here in Chattanooga, the Mellow Mushroom, you can get a pesto pizza, which indeed uses the classic pesto recipe. It is quite tasty, probably my second favorite type of pizza (after Hawaiian).

Yes, Cliptin and I are more alike than I like to admit :)

Mr. Jingles

What is this storage?
I must agree with these guys:

P5-133XL wrote:
The single best topping for a Pizza is "Extra Cheese"

Agree!

The best single topping: cheese. I love plain cheese pizza, with lotsa cheese please. Or four-cheese works (but does that count as more than a single topping? :))

Cheese Rules! :) :)

JSF

What is this storage?
Prof.Wizard, although this is OT, here is a lesson on American hamburger. Hamburger has two meanings in the US. At the supermarket it is ground beef and is sold in several prices dependent upon the meat quality and its fat content. At the fast food outlet it is the ubiquitous hamburger that you are familiar with. I am ashamed to say that most of the world believes that the Big Mac is representative of American cuisine. I proudly announce that I have had three visits to MacDonalds in my lifetime---none of them memorable. I consider their hamburgers the worst available.

I enjoy a good hamburger, but I grind my own meat. Too often I have been disappointed in the quality at the supermarket. Here are a few pointers in preparing a good hamburger. For good flavor buy shoulder beef with about 15% fat. Grind it coarsely twice. Form it into round patties the diameter of your hamburger buns, about 10oz (300gm) each. Do not compact the ground beef. For a juicy cooked patty they should just hold together. I stack the patties with plastic separators in a plastic cylinder and freeze them. As I need them, I slide the stack through the cylinder with the aid of warm water and slice off those needed and thaw them, returning the remaining stack to the freezer.

I sprinkle each thawed patty with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper and broil them about 2.5 minutes per side. The middle should still be pink. In the meantime I toast the halved hamburger buns. I use Kaiser rolls because I prefer a dense rather than soft roll.

Condiments for the hamburger are a personal choice. I spread mayonnaise on one side and a Dijon mustard on the other. I put lettuce on both sides, add thinly sliced onion, sliced beefsteak tomato, sliced kosher dill pickles and salt and pepper. Sometimes I add sliced cheese.
The cookied patty goes in the middle.

Half wrap them in a triangle of heavy paper to provide a pouch for handling and enjoy a tasty, simple, nutritious meal.

For a simple party, place the condiments on serving plates and let each quest build his own hamburger.

Joe.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Damn it, you humans just ruined a perfectly good Sunday morning. :( I haven't eaten a pizza in six months or so and I barely even glanced at this thread and, within a matter of moments, I found myself suddenly forced to put clothes on at the most uncivilised early hour of 11:30AM and take a drive down to the nearest pizza shop.

Woof and Ginger both eyed it with malice alustthought, made an assortment of purring and begging noises, and did the I'm-just-putting-my-paw-in-this-cardboard-slot-and-levering-because-I-don't-happen-to-have-anything-better-to-do-right-now-and-the-thought-of-food-hasn't-even-crossed-my-mind act, but I didn't give them any. I even opened a can of whatever that stuff is that they usually go crazy over and gave it to them, so as to be left in peace to enjoy my pizza, but they simply wolfed that down and came right back.

It's a sad world where an ape can't even be left alone to enjoy a little pizza.

(Well, OK, a lot of pizza.)

Handruin

Administrator
Mr. Jingles said:
I must agree with these guys:

P5-133XL wrote:

Agree!

Cheese Rules! :) :)

Ah, Mr. Jingles from the green mile! I knew I had heard that name before...and a decent movie it was.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
JSF said:
Prof.Wizard, although this is OT, here is a lesson on American hamburger. Hamburger has two meanings in the US. At the supermarket it is ground beef and is sold in several prices dependent upon the meat quality and its fat content. At the fast food outlet it is the ubiquitous hamburger that you are familiar with. I am ashamed to say that most of the world believes that the Big Mac is representative of American cuisine. I proudly announce that I have had three visits to MacDonalds in my lifetime---none of them memorable. I consider their hamburgers the worst available.
Thanks for the clarification. I was almost certain there was something wrong with my speculation of placing a Big Mac on a pizza... :roll:

Don't worry, I know American cuisine is NOT represented by fast food restaurants (and especially McDonalds). I've eaten some really good stakes in the US, especially the thrilling T-Bone and I know what you people are capable of. Too bad EU regulations after the mad cow epidemic forbid selling the meat with the bone. An Italian equivalent, Bistecca alla fiorentina (Florence Stake) was awesome as well...
I enjoy a good hamburger, but I grind my own meat. Too often I have been disappointed in the quality at the supermarket. Here are a few pointers in preparing a good hamburger. For good flavor buy shoulder beef with about 15% fat. Grind it coarsely twice. Form it into round patties the diameter of your hamburger buns, about 10oz (300gm) each. Do not compact the ground beef. For a juicy cooked patty they should just hold together. I stack the patties with plastic separators in a plastic cylinder and freeze them. As I need them, I slide the stack through the cylinder with the aid of warm water and slice off those needed and thaw them, returning the remaining stack to the freezer.

I sprinkle each thawed patty with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper and broil them about 2.5 minutes per side. The middle should still be pink. In the meantime I toast the halved hamburger buns. I use Kaiser rolls because I prefer a dense rather than soft roll.

Condiments for the hamburger are a personal choice. I spread mayonnaise on one side and a Dijon mustard on the other. I put lettuce on both sides, add thinly sliced onion, sliced beefsteak tomato, sliced kosher dill pickles and salt and pepper. Sometimes I add sliced cheese.
The cookied patty goes in the middle.

Half wrap them in a triangle of heavy paper to provide a pouch for handling and enjoy a tasty, simple, nutritious meal.

For a simple party, place the condiments on serving plates and let each quest build his own hamburger.

Joe.
Thanks for the recipe. I'll print it and try to find the ingredients. I'm a student alone here so I'll probably dedicate a Sunday noon to prepare a feast like this!

My salivar glands have increased their output after reading your reply! :wink:

Mr. Jingles

What is this storage?
Handruin said:
Ah, Mr. Jingles from the green mile! I knew I had heard that name before...and a decent movie it was.
Thanks, Tom Hanks was fun to work with. :D

I can smell cheese (or the talk of cheese) from miles away...through servers, ethernet cable (yikes! I chewed through one of those one time--bad idea). Anyway, this seemed like a fur-friendly place, so here I am. Beats a smelly prison. :D