Best movie you've seen

paugie

Storage is cool
What a great movie. As a Dad, I really appreciate Nick Nolte's performance.

Warrior

I, too, liked this movie. Have recommended it to others. They have watched it with me, and almost all agree it is wonderful. Uh, OK, the ending is somewhat a given. The fight scenes are great.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
New Thor. Tons of fun. I liked this one much better than the first. As with the last, Tom Hiddleston and Kat Dennings steal the movie. I'm not sure why they needed to cast Christopher Eccleston as Malekith. He has all of about five lines in English and his normal voice, and he's under heavy makeup the whole time. Kind of a waste of a pretty great actor, but maybe the guy needed a paycheck. Honestly Hiddleston has the role of his life, at least as much as Robert Downey Jr. does with Iron Man. Were there Loki movies, I would watch them.

Natalie Portman is apparently bound and determined to reprise her role as Queen Amidala, but I'm willing to forgive it. She gives Thor something to kiss (my moviegoing companion would like to suggest Loki as an alternative option) and she definitely doesn't ACT like someone with three PhDs, but she's also not a sex object or entirely without agency this time. But if the worst thing I can say about a movie is that Natalie Portman doesn't do distressed damsel very well, I'd say it's a pretty good time regardless.

There are a half dozen glorious gags in the movie and a couple of them occur DURING the climax of the film, which speaks to something wonderful about the Marvel Studios: They make funny-book movies. Everything isn't tense and GRIMDARK and joyless in the way that the Nolan movies have been (and I suspect will continue to be in Batman/Superman). Bright colors have a place, villains aren't chaotic stupid and there are at least a few call-backs to the idea that these characters live in a wider world.

There are two stingers on this one. TWO.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Longmire on A&E. Just finished watching the first season. Have to continue catching up on the 2nd. I really like it.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Have watched Thor - what Merc said. My kids both said "I liked this one much better than the first". Oohh scary deja-cows or something.
Catching Fire. More of the same as the first Hunger games.
Gravity - too many plot holes for me to suspend belief. The plot point that George Clooney would reach the end of the cable and keep dragging on Bullocks hand - forcing her to let go in a zero-g environment was a biggie. It was pleasant enough - but not great. Some of the rendered Earth shots looked too close as well.

Mercutio

I thought the movie version of Catching Fire was better than the book, but that might just be residual crushing on Jennifer Lawrence. The third book was pretty bad, so I can only hope there are some departures or at least some editing in the film version. Also that Jennifer Lawrence decides that it's in-character to wear her blue X-men body paint for the whole thing.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I thought the movie version of Catching Fire was better than the book, but that might just be residual crushing on Jennifer Lawrence. The third book was pretty bad, so I can only hope there are some departures or at least some editing in the film version. Also that Jennifer Lawrence decides that it's in-character to wear her blue X-men body paint for the whole thing.

Part 3 is split into in two films, one Nov 21, 2014 and one Nov 20, 2015, so you will have an opportunity at double the crap.

Mercutio

I saw the second Hobbit today, I thought it was pretty bad. What the hell was Legolas doing in it?

The quick answer is "Doing stuff that Tolkien didn't write about."
I don't think having extra elves really hurt anything but I would have liked the first meeting with Smaug to have been closer to the book.

All in all though I thought this movie was more like "The most awesome D&D adventure ever" and less like Lord of the Rings. I like what I saw on the screen, including the wish fulfillment badass elf babe.

I think the way they did Smaug's face was super-cool as well, but I didn't care for the overall dragon anatomy. Smaug looks really awkward when he's on the ground.

But all in all, we knew there was going to be a lot of padding and divergence from the books and for some of it to be awesome Elvish tree-palaces and Legolas being some kind of ninja killing machine is better than, you know, extra walking.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
The Heat. Some seriously fcuked up humour in that movied :). Laughed more than I have in ages, and much, much funnier than Ted.

Watched The Desolation of Smaug. A nearly three hour movie that didn't seem all that long. That's a really good sign. I thought it was much better than the first Hobbit movie. It does pose a conundrum though; who's hotter, Galadriel or Tauriel? I know Tauriel is not canon, but Evangeline Lily looks awesome :)

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I really like Saving Mr. Banks. It made me want to see the original Mary Poppins again and read the original book. I wish the two films had been released as a double-feature...

Mercutio

I really like Saving Mr. Banks. It made me want to see the original Mary Poppins again and read the original book. I wish the two films had been released as a double-feature...

It was a good movie, especially for a "Holiday" release. I was a bit worried that it would be a bit of a diabetes-inducing glurge-fest, but it didn't quite tip over that line. It was a sweet story that deserved to be told.

American Hustle, though, deserves to be seen if only for the moments when you're looking at people on-screen and realizing that you're seeing Batman, Katniss, Hawkeye and the teacher chick from the most recent Muppets movie and they're all completely unrecognizable. It's slyly funny with a lot of wonderful performances. It reminded me a lot of "The Sting" as I was watching it.

Mercutio

guardians-of-the-galaxy-tweet-brett-white-wonderwoman.jpg

[video=youtube;B16Bo47KS2g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B16Bo47KS2g[/video]

Yes, that is going to tie in to the Avengers movies. With Vin Diesel as a talking tree and the redheaded babe from Doctor Who as the bald, blue-skinned big bad.

Over the weekend I watched a movie called "Europa Project", primarily because it was scored by a favorite composer. It's hard (realistic) science fiction set in a not-inconceivable near future told in a found footage style that doesn't really come together until the last act of the movie. I had never heard of it before I watched it, and I have to say it was better than that POS "Gravity."

Handruin

Administrator
guardians-of-the-galaxy-tweet-brett-white-wonderwoman.jpg

[video=youtube;B16Bo47KS2g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B16Bo47KS2g[/video]

Yes, that is going to tie in to the Avengers movies. With Vin Diesel as a talking tree and the redheaded babe from Doctor Who as the bald, blue-skinned big bad.

Over the weekend I watched a movie called "Europa Project", primarily because it was scored by a favorite composer. It's hard (realistic) science fiction set in a not-inconceivable near future told in a found footage style that doesn't really come together until the last act of the movie. I had never heard of it before I watched it, and I have to say it was better than that POS "Gravity."

Mmmmm. Amelia Pond (Karen Gillan). Not such a fan of her bald though.

Mercutio

Winter Soldier takes itself much more seriously than Iron Man 3 or Thor: The Dark World. Tonally, it's more like a spy thriller out of the 70s or one of the Bourne movies. The Black Widow has nearly as much screen time as Captain America and the whole thing is extremely SHIELD-centric.

Highlights: Batroc shows up very early in the movie. This guy.

180px-Georges_Batroc_%28Earth-616%29.jpg

It's subtle, but the cinematic version is wearing a purple and orange outfit with a stripe up the middle of his chest. No, seriously. It's subtle.

"240,000 feet of data tape"

"Stephen Strange"

Cap's first interactions with Sam Wilson. I wish I could've freeze-framed his notebook. I'm pretty sure I saw "Star Wars/Trek?" on there.

"Was that your first kiss in 70 years?"

The first stinger is interesting and exciting. Apparently the two characters at the end of it will also appear in X-men: Days of Future Past which comes out at the end of the month. The second stinger is about eight seconds long and really doesn't add anything you would not have assumed.

Finally, I have to wonder what the end of the Winter Soldier will mean for the Agents of SHIELD characters. Since Thor: The Dark World occurred between successive episodes of AoS, that could be a hell of a setup for May sweeps.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Took the kids to see The Lego Movie yesterday, it's certainly one to takes kids to if they play with Lego... It also has a good number of laughs for adults, but be warned, the title song will get stuck in your head...

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Saw captain america this weekend.
The whole time I'm thinking why isn't he calling the avengers.
It was a good movie but the isolation to the captain america world was disconcerting.

I also saw the Grand Budapest Hotel. The theater was full of older people. Seriously like an aarp convention or something. And it was packed.
It was an entertaining movie. But I'd probably have waited to see it on video.

Mercutio

Saw captain america this weekend.
The whole time I'm thinking why isn't he calling the avengers.

Thor is in Asgard. Iron Man's operation was trashed at the end of Iron Man 3. The Hulk could've smashed, but then someone would have to deal with a hulk rampage in Washington D.C.
That pretty much just leaves Hawkeye, whose particular skills might not have been very helpful.

sedrosken

Florida Man
I'm a fair bit late to the party, but:

Transformers (1986)
LoTR (whole trilogy, haven't seen the Hobbit movies yet but it was the only one of the books I read so I thought it was pretty awesome)
A Series of Unfortunate Events (though it strayed a bit from the books, it was pretty good and Jim Carrey is pretty awesome, IMHO he saved the movie)
The Lion King

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head, I don't really watch TV or movies anymore. Since having to go a year without it (we couldn't afford it) I just don't find it appealing anymore, in fact my TV is only still around so I can play my old 360 every once in a blue moon (of course, only having three working games for it doesn't help its case).

LunarMist

What's the verdict on the latest Xtra Men? I hope Merc has recovered enough to view it.

anjaseller

What is this storage?
for me the legend of hercules, son of god, we're the miller(this one is soo hilarious its a must watch hahaha)

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
I saw the xmen, it was good not great.
It is really hard to make time travel impressive.
The very existence of it in a plot makes it harder to suspend disbelief.

LunarMist

I liked Gravity (non-3d, non-IMax) quite a bit but one does need to suspend a bit of disbelief. The critics are definitely correct that there are issues with reality that if you are looking will stand out. It is probably better to read the critics after you watch the movie so you won't be looking.

We finally saw it on the cable. OMG the Gravity is awful and ridiculous at the same time. I gave up before an hour. I wish the annoying winer would just die already.

Mercutio

Against my better judgment, I went to see the new Transformers movie. That movie treats plot and characterization like the Germans treated the Warsaw Ghetto in 1938.