Best movie you've seen

ddrueding

Fixture
I believe time was referring to the fact that the word "electrocuted" technically only applies if the shock was fatal. Otherwise it is just a shock.

"Technically correct; the best kind of correct"

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I was traveling this past week, but was the Blade Runner any good? Obviously Ford is an old man now.

Handruin

Administrator
I didn't see the new Blade Runner. I did get to watch Baby Driver over the weekend. I really enjoyed the movie based on the style it was made. The incorporation of music and other sounds made for a more-interesting movie.

paugie

Storage is cool
In the City I am registered here in my country, one can watch 2 movies a week (on a Monday or a Tuesday) for free. Senior citizen (>60 YO) privilege.
I watched "Wonder" and "Coco" yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed both of them.

Stereodude

Not really a
I watched Star Wars: The Last Jedi tonight in 3D. It came out yesterday in the European country I'm in, but we couldn't find a parking space at the theater, so we went back to the hotel. Tonight we got their earlier. The 3D showing wasn't very full whereas the 2D showing were quite full (based on buying tickets online). After watching it, I know why. The local language subtitles are very hard to read on a 3D movie because they're usually in the wrong depth plane for where the eye is naturally watching the movie. You can either watch the movie, or you can read the subtitles, or perhaps drive yourself crazy trying to go back and forth, but it's hard. However, that kind of worked out in my favor since I was more easily able to ignore them since it was the standard English audio and I couldn't read them anyhow as I don't know those languages. They were more of an out of focus blur that visually didn't distract me much.

Onto the movie... It was fun and entertaining. It seemed less overtly a re-hash of 4-6 than The Force Awakens, though it still borrowed many plot elements and recycled them.

LunarMist

I liked Wonder Woman a lot.
Sorry for asking but, your mention of Merc makes me really wonder.
a search for his posts .....

We saw the WW onboard a couple weeks back. It was not clear if the main character was overly naïve and/or had mental issues. At least there was some personality other than the usual boring superhero stuff. I watched the entire movie, which is more than I have for the vast majority of that genre.

Striker

Learning Storage Performance
We saw the WW onboard a couple weeks back. It was not clear if the main character was overly naïve and/or had mental issues. At least there was some personality other than the usual boring superhero stuff. I watched the entire movie, which is more than I have for the vast majority of that genre.

My impression was she was appropriately naive for having lived on an island and not being exposed to the norms of life outside of the one she had known.

Stereodude

Not really a
I finally got around to watching the 3D Blu-ray of Passengers last night. It was okay. Not exactly the action thriller the trailers made it out to be. Someone I know had previously told me it was more of a love story, so I wasn't exactly blindsided, but...

I should be spending my Blu-ray watching time catching up on my Marvel movies. I'm way behind having not seen Avengers: Age of Ultron (or anything after it) yet.

Stereodude

Not really a
Hmmm. 30% on the Rotting Tomatoes.
Hey now, I didn't say it was a masterpiece of cinema. Hacksaw Ridge was much much closer to being that than Passengers. However, this seems to be the thread where we talk about movies (despite the thread title), so I mentioned.

Striker

Learning Storage Performance
I enjoyed Passengers well enough. I think most of the bad reviews are due to the actions of the main character rather than the overall quality of the movie.

I really enjoyed Hacksaw Ridge as well. I went in not knowing anything about the story and very much enjoyed it.

Handruin

Administrator
I really enjoyed Atomic Blonde. The style of cinematography was interesting with respect to the length of uncut scenes. The fighting was also a more-interesting pace given how it seemed like it could be plausibly more realistic when compared to many other movies with hand to hand combat scenes.

LunarMist

I really enjoyed Atomic Blonde. The style of cinematography was interesting with respect to the length of uncut scenes. The fighting was also a more-interesting pace given how it seemed like it could be plausibly more realistic when compared to many other movies with hand to hand combat scenes.

It was rather entertaining. I did find the incessant smoking to be annoying and of course that lesbian scene was gratuitous.

Stereodude

Not really a
Baby Driver was interesting. A somewhat different style of movie the way much of the action was synchronized to the music.

Handruin

Administrator
I also really enjoyed Baby Driver. I like what Edgar Wright does with the film. This film also has several scenes that are long and uncut which I really appreciate. Even more-so with this movie because they integrate all the audio cues in with a long scene makes me think this took a decent amount of rehearsal. The scene just after the first heist when Baby is going to get coffee. I also love that at the very opening of the film with the Sony logo they started the audio integration with regards to his condition.

Stereodude

Not really a
The scene just after the first heist when Baby is going to get coffee.
Yep, that scene definitely stood out as being :cooler:

I also watched Inferno. It was okay. Not great, not terrible. The other two were a little more "follow the clues to solve the mystery" than this one. I didn't see the big plot twist coming. That took me by surprise.

Stereodude

Not really a
I finally got around to watching Avengers: Age of Ultron for the very first time last night. I'm just a little bit behind on my Marvel movies.

It was enjoyable. I thought the sound was a little quiet FWIW (compared to other movies played at the same volume setting).

LunarMist

I also really enjoyed Baby Driver. I like what Edgar Wright does with the film. This film also has several scenes that are long and uncut which I really appreciate. Even more-so with this movie because they integrate all the audio cues in with a long scene makes me think this took a decent amount of rehearsal. The scene just after the first heist when Baby is going to get coffee. I also love that at the very opening of the film with the Sony logo they started the audio integration with regards to his condition.

I was going to watch that over the Pacific, but passed out. Is there enough substance to the film as well as style?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Just saw the new Jedi Star Wars movie not bad I enjoyed it except for Carrie Fisher died

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Talk about being behind just found out that there were two more Hobbit movies and 2013-14 I haven't seen Black Panther Marvel movies I'm always interested in

Stereodude

Not really a
Just saw the new Jedi Star Wars movie not bad I enjoyed it except for Carrie Fisher died
Maybe I missed something, but I'm pretty sure Leia didn't die in TLJ, so I'm not exactly sure why Carrie Fisher's death affected your enjoyment of the movie.

...I haven't seen Black Panther Marvel movies I'm always interested in
Well, they haven't released a Black Panther movie yet, so maybe you're not as far behind as your feared.

LunarMist

I thought he meant the person, not the character. My thinking about a character has been influenced by the death of the actor, especially if there is a close temporal proximity.

Stereodude

Not really a
Deepwater Horizon was quite the LFE fest. The subs were getting a prolific workout. I can't think of another movie with such an extended sequence of predominant and near continuous Low Frequency Effects.

The movie was pretty good too.

LunarMist

Deepwater Horizon was quite the LFE fest. The subs were getting a prolific workout. I can't think of another movie with such an extended sequence of predominant and near continuous Low Frequency Effects.

The movie was pretty good too.

Were you watching at home? Low frequency makes me sick. Somehow the body absorbs the sound to the intestines.

Stereodude

Not really a
Were you watching at home? Low frequency makes me sick. Somehow the body absorbs the sound to the intestines.
Yes, I was watching the Blu-ray at home with my dual 21" subs with 4kW behind them that are dialed in just right. Watching this in a typical commercial theater would have been a travesty (in terms of LFE).

Bass makes you sick? :scratch: Bummer... :(

LunarMist

Yes, I was watching the Blu-ray at home with my dual 21" subs with 4kW behind them that are dialed in just right. Watching this in a typical commercial theater would have been a travesty (in terms of LFE).

Bass makes you sick? :scratch: Bummer... :(

I'm not an ellie or a whale, so is it all that surprising that loud, sustained, unnatural low frequencies are sickening?

Handruin

Administrator
LFE's are some of the most exciting parts of a movie. Is this a home-built sub setup? Did you do a writeup on the project or am I thinking of someone else?