Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Title says it all. Free is good too.
Will Nero 7 rip CDs to MP3??

Thanks,

Bozo :joker:

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I only rip on FreeBSD, and use either cdda2wav/lame from the commandline, or if feeling lazy will use 'Grip' if I'm enconding both MP3 and FLAC versions from a DVD-A or CD.

On Windows, I know WM11 can rip to MP3 (Tools > Options > Rip Music and select MP3). However it only does CBR, not VBR.

DD has mentioned a few free tools here for Windows, so try a search of the forums. (http://www.storageforum.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5723)

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I installed CDEX. Lots of settings. Confusing for a Bozo.
I downloaded Exact audio copy. Will give it a try.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I tried both CDex and EAC. I ended up using EAC. The only reason I used EAC was StereoDude's excelant post, and after about an hour, I got it to do what I wanted it to do.
Nero 7 will rip and convert to MP3s too. But I never could figure out how. The user interface is a cluster f**k.
None of these are easy to use.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I almost forgot:
Once I got EAC and Lame working. it took 5 minutes and 40 seconds to rip and convert a 17 song CD to MP3. Cool!

Adcadet

Storage Freak
CDex is easy enough that I set my father-in-law up with it, and he's been able to use it without problems.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Not to hijack this thread, but is there a CD ripper/burner
that will cleanup a CD, for copying, or burning, to another CD?

Some of the originals that I have just aren't that good. Anyway to cleanup some of the old concert CD's, etc.
??

Thanks

Dr. Greg

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
When I just copy the disks, it appears that they put in bad sectors, or weak sectors, that when copied, are inferior to the original disk.
Do these programs correct, remove, fix, such weak areas?
Thanks

Dr G

ddrueding

Fixture
I know EAC has user selectable degrees of error correction. If your optical drive is one on their special list, it has an even more paranoid redundant scanning technique.

Piyono

Storage is cool
I've been using EAC with FLAC for over a year, now, and my teeth have never been whiter!

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Just burned my favorite Jimi Hendrix smash hits again. Every other time, All Along the Watch Tower screws up. Can't wait to see if it works in the car tomorrow...

Dr. Greg

Stereodude

Not really a
I'm glad my guide is helping you guys. I hope your using the Final release of LAME 3.97 though instead of the Beta 2.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Well, so far so good. Hendrix works, where before it didn't.

Now, if it will clean up my Temptations Live stuff, I'll be in 7th Heaven...

THANKS AGAIN

Dr. G

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Yes, I should use this opportunity to that Stereo again for his great guide. My MP3s are fantastic and I ripped them faster than I thought possible thanks to his guide. Thanks Stereo!

Handruin

Administrator
I refer back to that guide whenever someone else asks me about a similar task (and I also used it for my own conversions). Thanks Stereodude for the great post.