Better Monitor

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I'm running out of ideas. :( About a year ago I bought (and later returned) the 30" NEC, which was a disappointing mess at the same price. Now my current monitor is getting worse.

ddrueding

Fixture
It seems like you (and they) are pushing the tech so hard that the expectations (and price) are leaving reality. If you need the best, than I don't doubt that that is it. But I'm certain you can get within 1% of that for 50% the money.

Handruin

Administrator
Does a high end monitor like that make such a remarkable difference for what you need to do? What's wrong with the NEC 24" LCD2490WUXi everyone raves about? Save yourself $1000 over the eizo.

LunarMist

What's wrong with the NEC 24" LCD2490WUXi everyone raves about? Save yourself $1000 over the eizo.

They are no longer made, having been replaced with a newer model 2 that some are not so happy about. Perhaps I should have gone with the LCD2490WUXi last year, but their flagship 30" was such a dud times two that it left a bad taste. The $100 extra on the Eizo probably is $500 for the name brand and $500 for tighter QC and calibration.

LunarMist

Have you given any thought to a return to CRT?

Strange you should mention it. I viewed an Artisan about 1.5 years ago. I remembered the beautiful colors and consistency of the CRT, but was surprised how blurry the image was.

Then I remembered why I never got one. Those 21" monitors were too large for me to handle.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
What do you think of this monitor?

loaded Q :p, so I'll just say ditto w/dd sez :D

I'm running out of ideas. :( About a year ago I bought (and later returned) the 30" NEC, which was a disappointing mess at the same price. Now my current monitor is getting worse.

Well that's really descriptive, but tells us nothing about the detailed problems you had, lol

They are no longer made, having been replaced with a newer model 2 that some are not so happy about. Perhaps I should have gone with the LCD2490WUXi last year, but their flagship 30" was such a dud times two that it left a bad taste. The $100 extra on the Eizo probably is $500 for the name brand and $500 for tighter QC and calibration.

suk'd 2x <better twitteriffic™ speak LM

Arrghk, this vetting takes forever, you guys have lotsa free time on yr hands :p.

There U go Blo ur 350 budget, prior thread answer vvv :

http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/s-ips-lcd-list.php

ViewSonic VP2365wb NEW 23" 1920 x 1080 (16:9) $300

Since i'll take 4evah 2 vet, mehB just answer 1 Q:

Ya got AD's book & read this thread correct?

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=82126

^He uses a 2690...older model (and a Mac :D ).

Could get a 27in 2560x1440 (same as the 30in bigboys) iMac w/kewl LED IPS backlit screen...all the reviewers are in <3

http://www.channelpro.co.uk/Reviews/346502/apple_imac_27in.html

^silly boiz, should have waited to test the Core i7 'power' version.

or trust the review here on the Nec (ya seen this link b4, correct LM?):

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2009/review-nec-lcd2690wuxi2-bk.html

Unlike its smaller brother (2490WUXi or 2490WUXi²), the NEC 2690WUXi² has an extended colour space, which completely covers the AdobeRGB colour space.
@Handy ^

colorspace? sRGB or Adobe 1998 RGB

only negative I could see other than crappy cal in sRGB, which may or may not be the fault of the Nec :p, is it lacks the A-TW polarizer

http://www.bestcovery.com/nec-multisync-lcd2690wuxi2-26-lcd-monitor?whybest=1&best=35844

bc_stars_5.png
Hands down.. the best Pro graphics monitor for the buck., November 14, 2009
I have this monitor now for 6 months for intensive graphic design, and PSD work. After much research this is what I concluded would be the best buy for a serious graphics monitor. My hopes were more then satisfied. This monitor has all the traits and features for serious work.. Uniformity compensation is huge benifit in keeping every porition of ...read full review I have this monitor now for 6 months for intensive graphic design, and PSD work. After much research this is what I concluded would be the best buy for a serious graphics monitor. My hopes were more then satisfied. This monitor has all the traits and features for serious work.. Uniformity compensation is huge benifit in keeping every porition of the screen at even luminosity. The color accuracy with eyeone2 and autocalibration is a godsend. There is absolutely NO drawbacks or quirks I have been able to find... No twinkling or glowing that some ips panels have, perfect uniformity, 12bit lut calibration ability, Deep amount of customization with ione2 software/calibraton- things like setting up white points is great... The 4 year warranty, ... The huge amount of real-estate 26" is perfect dotpitch.. The adobe rgb wide gamut is perfect for serious modern digital photography where the larger gamut is usefull.

In every regard This is the perfect monitor.. I am very picky but there is not a single negative, quirk, or issue with this.. it is a serious piece of hardware for graphic designers, photographers that need a serious tool.. minimize

@dd, check out the jpg 12800/6400 on the 7D> dpreview & imaging-resource, think you'll find them very close to the 5D MkII and *way* better than the 50D.