Bicycle LED headlight

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
To make a long story short, a friend of mine whom I do quite a bit of work for is interested in my concept for possible production (we'll need to see if the numbers work). In the end this will mean a better product than I can make alone but of course a longer wait (for the final version, anyway). In the meantime, I'm thinking of just cobbling together something which we can each test on our bikes for a few weeks (months?) as we go through the design process. Would that be OK? It won't look pretty (although it'll still look halfway decent), but it'll work better than what you're using.

ddrueding

Fixture
I have a temporary 300lm Light&Motion unit arriving in a week. If you want to test some units in the field, I can certainly oblige. Or I can wait for a production unit (if they are good, knowing you they will be, then I can try to sell the team on them (~30 units).

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I have a temporary 300lm Light&Motion unit arriving in a week. If you want to test some units in the field, I can certainly oblige. Or I can wait for a production unit (if they are good, knowing you they will be, then I can try to sell the team on them (~30 units).
Thanks Dave. That actually sounds pretty good, especially the part about selling the team on the lights. I sent his engineer an email a few days ago on what I had in mind but he hasn't gotten back to me yet.

I'll start working on the preproduction prototypes for you and me. Before we even get to the final design stage, I want to iron out any issues. Based on my testing, throw and output will be great. What I really need to test is how the batteries and charging system will work in daily, rigorous use. And the mounting system will be crucial. I think mounting on the handlebar stem makes the most sense for a variety of reasons.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'd agree. I would even consider it bridging from below the stem to the top of the fork in a vertical arrangement. I have access to a full machine shop (and skilled people to use it), so would likely talk to those guys about it anyway. I ride about 2 hours a night every night, so the charging system would get quite a workout.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
That would be full cycle every day which would be great. I don't ride quite that much, although when the weather cooperates I might get in 30-35 hours of riding in a good month. One thing I'll be doing on my end is testing the durability of the entire mounting system. The roads here resemble a lunar landscape. If they can survive that, they can survive pretty much anywhere.

ddrueding

Fixture
The roads here are pretty good, and my bike has a built in suspension of sorts (Roubaix). So it wouldn't get that much of a workout.