Blu-Ray Burners?

Stereodude

Not really a
Anyone have any favorites or suggestions for a Blu-Ray burner?

So far the Pioneer BDR-205BK/BDR-205BKS seems to be the best option out there.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
At the very least that should drop the price of the 205, the 12x Lite-On (iHBS112) is at the $120 level.

Stereodude

Not really a
At the very least that should drop the price of the 205, the 12x Lite-On (iHBS112) is at the $120 level.
If you don't care about the software you can get the BDR-205BK for ~$110 from Superbiiz after their current 10% off coupon.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
For $60, a 1TB hard drive makes a lot more sense. I just don't see an application for BD burners.

There's applications for it. Shipping an external hard drive versus popping a couple of discs in a mailer, there's some significant shipping cost savings. Eventually got a decent broadband pipe in, but not all clients had similar connections.

For those of us in the US archiving sat broadcasts like that is not feasible, like they do in Japan.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
There's applications for it. Shipping an external hard drive versus popping a couple of discs in a mailer

I'd have to need to do that repeatedly before I'd seriously consider the discs to the disk. A 500GB 2.5" drive costs around $50 right now and can probably be shipped for $7 or so.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I'd have to need to do that repeatedly before I'd seriously consider the discs to the disk. A 500GB 2.5" drive costs around $50 right now and can probably be shipped for $7 or so.

You could put it in a USPS prepaid padded bag and send it for $4.95.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Or the small USPS priority mail box. You could send it ever cheaper (though slower I think) as media mail

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
You don't want to ship a hard drive in a padded bag and you certainly don't want to ship it slowly. Only express shipping for hard drives. The least amount of time a mecanical hard drive spends in shipping warehouse or trucks, the better for its lifespan.

Said from a guy who worked at Purolator.