Bought my last Plextor

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Recently I purchased a Plextor CD burner. It Was DOA. No amount of 'fixing' would bring this thing back to life. You could hear things rattling around inside. Eventually, a small electronic part fell out through one of the openings in the drive.
I went to Plextors site to get an RMA. To get an RMA you must first contact their tech support. I filled out the form indicating it was dead from the time it came out of the box. Two days latter I get a reply asking me to try to do this-n-that to get the thing to run. I replied that the drive was dead (again) and none of the this-n-that could be performed. Two days latter I got a reply with the special code that I needed to put in the RMA request.
I sent the RMA request off and then got an automated reply that I would receive an RMA number and further instructions within 3 to 5 business days. That was a week ago.
So much for customer service. If Plextor can't do their customers better than this, they don't need my business.

Bozo :mrgrn:

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
This was at work. And yes, our vendor will exchange bad components within 30 days. Unfortunately, this unit was on the shelf for a couple months.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Antecs RMA policy is even worse. They want proof of purchase: receipt or copy of a purchase order. The date and serial number aren't enough.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
i've had good luck with antec. I simply told them I had a failed PSU fan and they offered an RMA... another time I simply told them I had a 3700AMB case and needed the front USB2 upgrade and they sent it to me for free.

I'm pretty sure I was emailing somebody in North America if it makes a difference.

ddrueding

Fixture
blakerwry said:
i've had good luck with antec. I simply told them I had a failed PSU fan and they offered an RMA... another time I simply told them I had a 3700AMB case and needed the front USB2 upgrade and they sent it to me for free.

I'm pretty sure I was emailing somebody in North America if it makes a difference.

When I need service it's always been easy. They are based about 50 miles north of here. I plan on making a drive and picking up some parts directly (in bulk) pretty soon.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I just emailed this thread to Plextor. I've a number of their drives, and, having been through the process, with a Refurb, they at least gave me a credit, on a new drive.

However, they need to know how the public feels, and, their loyal customers.

s

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I stopped buying Plextor when they abandoned the SCSI market. Since my hand was basically forced to go IDE for optical, I've been buying LiteOn CD drives and am now buying Pioneer for DVD. Very happy with those choices.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I've done the same, but still have my scsi optical stuff floating around.
As they die, they are being replaced with firewire drives, made by Lite-on and Pioneer as well.

s

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I was supposed to get an RMA within 3 days.....that was Jan 12.

Still no RMA

iGary

Learning Storage Performance
Over the years, I have used (at work) several different tower duplicators that used Plextor SCSI recorders (8x, 16x models).

I've had far more failures with Plextor recorders than the other brands -- including some cheap-o ATAPI recorders.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I finally sent them another email asking about the RMA. According to Plextor, the RMA was sent on the 14th. Right.........

Anyway I finally got the RMA. Now we'll see how many months it takes to get another burner.