Cable modem

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I am looking to purchase this cable modem.

Any thoughts on this one? Is there something better?

Thanks

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'm in the camp that it doesn't matter most of the time. The cable modem is going to get whatever programming it needs from your ISP and that's going to set your cap. I don't think you're going to see download speeds in excess of 100Mbps any time soon, especially not on consumer cable services, so the 1Gbps ethernet port seems more like a justification to increase the price rather than a useful feature.

That said, my cable modem is a "Comcast Business Gateway" made by Motorola. It's what most of my customers use as well. The main thing I can say about that model is that they don't seem to crash very often compared to the consumer grade modems I've tried.

ddrueding

Fixture
The one thing I care about is that it not try to be a router. I don't want it to force DHCP, do NAT, attempt any kind of firewall, etc. I want to be able to set the IP on the device I connect to it to be a static external IP and for it to receive all traffic.

The Comcast Business Gateway is a bit of a PITA in this respect ("clear sailing"? give me a break).

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The Comcast Business Gateway is a bit of a PITA in this respect ("clear sailing"? give me a break).

In all the time I've been dealing with them, I've only seen one lose its settings and force me to turn everything off again one time.