Camcorder? Small digital camera?

Adcadet

Storage Freak
With the coming mini-Adcadet (http://www.storageforum.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7915), I need to get my digital imaging life in order. My wife has a Digital Rebel XT and we're pretty happy with it. I see no reason to replace it. She's an intermediate shooter, while I'm still very point-and-shoot. We very much want a camcorder, but we know nothing about shooting video. Something that could also shoot decent stills would be nice if possible. We'd like to go with a cheaper model, but I suppose we could afford something more expensive. I'd love a very compact model, but I have no idea how to balance features, price, and size. Anybody have experience with the Kodak Zi8?

And finally, I'd like a simple, cheap, small point-n-shoot that's better than my iPhone's camera. Perhaps a very portable camcorder could double as my simple camera. Anybody have suggestions or thoughts?

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
My wife and I purchased a JVC GZ-MG330 Standard Def 30GB HDD camcorder about 6 mths ago, and overall are happy with it. (The 30GB model has been replaced with a 60GB model (GZ-MG630), but specs are otherwise exactly the same).

The only downside that I've found is the battery life with the standard battery, so get the long-life battery if at all possible.

The upsides, the zoom/lens is excellent, the 30GB storage is ample even when recording at max-resolution. The audio mic setup is very good as well. It's very light and fits comfortably in my hand. The UI in the camera takes a bit to get used to, but is logical in it's layout. Overall, no major faults with it.

We still use a Fuji S6500 for still shots, but the JVC stills are quite good for that quick snap-shot. For a quick PnS camera, I have no recommendations.

PS. Here is a thread, that I started a while ago, when I asked a similar question: http://www.storageforum.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7366

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
We bought this Panasonic a few months ago in preparation for our trip to Maui. Easy to use. 70x optical zoom, 60GB HD, SD card for expansion beyond the 60GB. $315 IIRC from Amazon. I picked up a larger extended battery & a 16GB SDHC card bringing the total to just over $400.

Gripes: The supplied PC software only works on 32 bit Windows so we're not using it. You can charge the battery or pass through the charger to run the camera (USB mode or record direct to PC) but not both (the USB & DC in plugs are covered by the battery). It doesn't do that well in low light conditions (outside at night) but is good outdoors and fine indoors.

Like most units in this range it has a You Tube mode but we ignore that & shoot everything at the highest quality setting.

As with our GPS, I let my wife pick the brand based on the UI. Within the brand I picked the model. It's a basic unit; not many frills but that does make it very easy to use. It doesn't do HD. I'm considering it a starter camcorder. If we find we use it a lot I'll consider upgrading to something more expensive but as we're both video novices it works for us.

Oh. I hate the way my voice sounds on video just as much as I hate it on answering machines and any other place it's recorded.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I did enough recording in the 60's and 70's to become very used to my recorded voice. I still hear it that way in my head, although the voice has obviously changed. ;) It's not as scary as seeing a recent photo of myself and not recognizing that older guy. :eek:

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
With the coming mini-Adcadet (http://www.storageforum.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7915), I need to get my digital imaging life in order. My wife has a Digital Rebel XT and we're pretty happy with it. I see no reason to replace it. She's an intermediate shooter, while I'm still very point-and-shoot. We very much want a camcorder, but we know nothing about shooting video. Something that could also shoot decent stills would be nice if possible. We'd like to go with a cheaper model, but I suppose we could afford something more expensive. I'd love a very compact model, but I have no idea how to balance features, price, and size. Anybody have experience with the Kodak Zi8?

And finally, I'd like a simple, cheap, small point-n-shoot that's better than my iPhone's camera. Perhaps a very portable camcorder could double as my simple camera. Anybody have suggestions or thoughts?

Forget about a PnS still camera if you want video (unless ur willing to spend $1500 for the Panny GH-1 4/3rds system). Go with a dedicated camcorder, not that consumer/prosumer camcorders are anywhere near as capable/easy to use in the experienced hands as real entry level pro camcorders >$3,500. Pro level camcorders have very smooth rocker switch zoom levers that have variable/adjustable zoom speed, can't get that in a consumer camcorder, so go with whatever you find is easiest to control when you demo them. Best drag your wife along too for consensus opinion :D.

Unless u only intend to keep the images for a short time period, you'll want the *best* optical image stabliization you can get. Go into a BestBuy or like store and *use* the demo models to get a feel for them. If u have plenty of time, then you can read up on the functions of a particular model before demoing them. Always better if you can use a tripod, but most consumers don't...so beware of the Blair Witchcraft phenomena :p. I just tried a higher end consumer Sony XR-500, at zoom end of the optical range, OIS did not smooth out a shaky hand very well. If you ever intend to do outdoor vid capture, it's always better to have the option of a electronic viewfinder (EVF) because LCD screens washout in bright sunlight. Only problem is few consumer camcorders have EVF's these days :(.

Go with HD, even 720p is *much* better in the long run compared to SD images...again, assuming you'll be keeping the footage as archival material a decade or so down the road.

Can never have enough practice, assuming you're going to want to do a vid of the actual delivery :), practice before that happens, practice as much as you can.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Camcorderinfo-com-Select-Awards-2009-37268.htm

^also look @last years top picks...which is all Chewy had to choose from, many of those models are still available, and while somewhat less capable, might be found at lower prices...perhaps a flash card memory, higher end model, recently discontinued?

*very* few camcorders allow wide-angle video (behind the times, unlike video capable PnS digicams, a number of which you can get at least 28mm film equivalent wide-angle), you might consider that a priority. The a few higher end Sanyo allow a screw on, wide-angle adapter; not as good as true wide-angle zoom lens, but better than nothing to get the shots you want.

The pistol style Sanyo's are best bang 4 buck, but supposedly lousy UI, kind of like Windoze compared to Mac OS X, so that shouldn't be an impediment 4 u :p. Same price range as the Flip/Kodak, read the reviews and decide 4 yourself.

http://provideocoalition.com/index....where_no_consumer_camcorder_has_ever_gone_be/

VPC-HD2000A footage shot by Jorge González of Acquest Multimedia

See the video page to see 720p footage shot with the VPC-HD2000A from your computer. If you are reading this on your iPhone, tap here to see an iPhone optimized version of the same video.
Many readers will recall that Jorge González of Acquest Multimedia in Miami had purchased, tested, and then returned a Kodak Zi8. You will recall that Jorge’s main HD camera is currently a Panasonic AG-HPX500, which you may know is a 2/3” model which lists for US$14,000 without lens. Jorge had purchased the Kodak Zi8 mainly for his wife, but returned it because of poor stabilization and poor minimum distance with its fixed-focus lens. After returning the Zi8 to Kodak, Jorge read my article called Apple & Sanyo embrace new homophonic video format: iFrame. After reading that article, Jorge became intrigued by the Sanyo VPC-HD2000A, but not because of the homophonic iFrame mode, but because of the 1080p59.94 mode. However, since Jorge knew that the above video was for the web, he shot it it 720p29.97, edited the footage using the new ProRes422LT códec, and gave me the master in that códec. I then determined the TOQ (Threshold of quality) using DVKitchen’s SampleLab and then encoded H.264 and embedded into a Flash player for the web. In this case, the TOQ for this footage turned out to be 3600kilobits per second, due to the extremely fine detail in the trees. Since some of you will also want to see the camera’s performance in 1080p59.94, here’s a link to download raw footage in that format. According to the QuickTime Player’s Inspector, these clips were encoded by the camera a little over 24 megabits per second.
Pros

In my opinion (and Jorge’s), the Sanyo VPC-HD2000A produces impressive HD images if you shoot in any of the progressive HD modes. It is one of the best consumer HD cameras under US$1,000 that we have seen to date. Jorge decided to keep this one for his wife, and his whole family is happy. He just ordered a wide-angle adapter for it.

^the VPC-HD2000A may have industry leading 1080p/60fps..but it uses electronic image stabilization, which is never as good as optical.

on Camcorderinfo.com the reader feedback mentions a site, IIRC something like "vimeo" (read comments on the VPC-HD2000A) where users post up vids for comparisons purposes. You can get an idea, somewhat, of image quality from reading up on those forums.

Buy something now that ur comfortable with, knowing that camcorders are more of less about like what still PnS digicams were 3-5yrs ago, room for much improvement< especially expect wider-angle lenses to follow PnS digicams. I expect something much more capable in your price range will become available in 2-5yrs for which you'll then want to retire your current model for...IMHO.

I'm pretty much in the same boat (sans child coming) as far as interest in camcorder, but there are so many compromises, including easy editing software, even on the Mac side, I"m kind of paralyzed as what to choose...basically they all suck for what I want to acheive. Red Scarlet (1H 2010) 3k res, pro level; ~$4k *large* palmcorder is what I'd like to have, closest to what I want. But even there, it's way too large/heavy...and of course, far too expensive :p

paugie

Storage is cool
I don't know what your budget is. But a little suggestion which may be a bit contrary to your wishes.

There's a new little DSLR which costs $600 which can do high resolution video and take fantastic pictures.
It's called the Pentax K-x. Read about it, it's got a lot of reviews and videos online for anyone interested.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
For what it is worth, I was going to suggest a look at a Rebel T1i. If you're already used to the rebel options and form factor, you might as well see if one will meet your needs. It has the distinct advantage of being compatible with your existing XT lens(es).

Though to agree with LM, It has some very distinct limitations - 1080P @ 20FPS, 720P @ 30FPS, 640x480 @ 30FPS - 4GB limit on clips. No external mic.

If these limits don't pose a problem it will give you much better quality, esp at low light, and artistic ability compared to even the best camcorders.

My co-worker has a Canon 5DmkII, purchased primarily for the arrival of a new baby boy, and he's more than happy with the video and has made several movies of his vacations and his little one. The 5DmkII basically having the same video engine as the T1i with the exception of the 1080P FPS limitation - it also has an external mic jack and a full frame sensor (giving it better light sensitivity/less noise).

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Read somewhere that the nikon d90 does 1080p but won't do autofocus while recording, thought that was a bit of a blunder.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Canon's slr's have similar limitations on focus. You can focus while making a movie, but it's more of a one time focus adjustment and not a tracking type of focus you might expect.

If you're the creative, manual control type it is fine. If you want something you can just set on auto, wait till the next generation of SLR movie cameras.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Still thinking the Kodak Zi8 would be a good choice - small and easy to use, cheap, and reasonably good video and reasonably good stills. Would anyone point me elsewhere? If a bigger camcorder really gave that much better videos for my purposes I certainly could consider something bigger and more expensive.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I don't think I'd buy a unit that only does digital zoom and no optical (and only a 4x digital at that). 10x optical is the minimum I'd recommend.

And while that formfactor might be OK for shooting clips I'd be concerned about fatigue when shooting longer segments, especially having to hold it steady.

I'd suggest you play with one at a retail outlet before purchasing.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
5D II is for filmmaking. It is not a substitute for a camcorder. The ergonomics of holding any camera at arm's length, especially a video camera, is just awful. Edison and Eastman would be rolling in their graves to see the sh*t that passes for photographic technique.

Handruin

Administrator

Maybe we should start from the other side of this discussion. What's your realistic budget for the video camera?

Striker

Learning Storage Performance
Anyone have any opinions on the panasonic zs3?
It's only 720p video and in avhd lite but overall it seems like a real nice pocket camera/camcorder.

paugie

Storage is cool
hmmm.
The way the discussion is going, you may really want to hold the Pentax in your hand, at least in the store. As to shaking, it's got in-body shake reduction operable with any Pentax/3rd party lens. and I've seen videos where auto-focus and zooming go together. (I could be wrong)
And it certainly fits your budget.
Of course, the name might be off putting. Almost nobody recognizes Pentax any more. Except the old timers.