Cannot activate Flash Player 6

JSF

What is this storage?
I lost use of Macromedia’s Flash plug-in with W2k-Pro. I get blank windows whenever Flash is utilized and when I attempt to download it from the Macromedia site. This is the only Macromedia application I cannot download.

I communicated with Macromedia’s support group and it has provided me with direct links to its files: “uninstall_flash_player.exe”, “flashplayer6_winax.exe” and “flashactivexinstaller.exe”. I have downloaded these and can execute them at will. The first file successfully removes all Flash files, including references in the Registry. I have manually confirmed this. The second successfully installs Flash Player 6. Both “flash.ocx” and “flash.inf” return to the WINNT Directory. However, I still experience blank boxes when the Flash Player should be utilized. When I attempt to download the Flash Player in the usual Macromedia web site location I get another blank dialog box. I uninstalled Flash Player 6 and installed Flash Player 4 using “flashactivexinstaller.exe”. Both “swflash.ocx” and “swflash.inf” appear in the WINNT Directory. This Player also does not work.

Macromedia says that a possibility exists that I am experiencing an issue with Microsoft’s “Install On Demand” feature. Apparently, if at any time I indicated that I did not wish to install the Macromedia Player, Install On Demand will prevent its subsequent installation. If this is the case I do not know how to undo it. I installed SP4 and was hopeful that I would recover use of Flash, but nothing has changed.

I will be very appreciative of any help.

Joe.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Have you tried installing flash for other browsers? (mozilla)

I imagine it could be a flash problem, a browser problem, or something else that's not right on your system that prevents flash from working correctly.. I kinda doubt that it's install on demand as I have several times cancelled it only to subsequently install the application at a later date without problems.

I would try reinstalling your browser (or repairing it if it's IE), reinstall shockwave and flash, and then try visiting several sites that utilize flash.

If that fails, try mozilla and install flash for it.. if mozilla works then it's probably an IE/flash hiccup... if it does not work then there is some setting on your system preventing flash from performing correctly... repairing/reinstalling the OS might be the quickest way to fix the problem in either case.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
You might have to descend to the Regedit level, and remove everything that looks as though it might have to do with Flazh. Ugly, but that sort of thing usually works. At least it usually sometimes workz.

JSF

What is this storage?
Thank you Blakerwry and Tea for your response. I’ve pursued most of your suggestions with partial success.

I first cleared the Registry of all references to Flash in all its versions. I also made sure that “Install On Demand” in “Start|Internet Properties|Advanced” was disabled (unchecked) for both “Internet Explorer” and “Other”. After a Restart this had some positive results. When I accessed the Macromedia site I could once again view Macromedia’s promotion box in the upper half of the screen. As expected there was no animation, but at least it no longer was blank.

When I installed Flash 6 for Internet Explorer the blank promotion box in the Macromedia site returned. I again uninstalled Flash 6 and enabled “Install On Demand” and reinstalled Flash 6. Things were unchanged. I viewed blank boxes whenever Flash was required.

I downloaded Mozilla, set Preferences, and installed Flash 6 for Netscape. Flash was working! I tested it at the Lebonze website. Its playground is particularly good for spending time with some fascinating Flash displays.

Returning to IE, I uninstalled its most recent patch and restarted. Flash did not work. I re-installed the IE patch and Flash still did not work.

Blakerwry, I do not know how to repair IE unless it is included in the repair option when installing Windows 2000. The Microsoft website refers to a repair option for IE in XP, but not for Win2k. When you suggest reinstalling Win2k, are you suggesting a clean install, or an installation which preserves all links to application programs? Can I preserve links in view of the fact that there have been 4 Service Packs installed since the original installation? I don't think I could handle a clean install at this time. I'll save that untill Win2k's successor is available.

Thanks again, Joe.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
if you've installed a enwer version of IE than that which comes with the OS, then "microsoft internet explorer and internet tools" will be listed in add/rem programs. you can double click it and you will find the option to repair IE.

I'm not sure if 2k came with 5.5 or 6.0, if the later, I'm not sure updating to 6.0 SP1 would create an entry in add/rem programs.

You could try googling for a way to repair/reinstall IE in 2k and XP, I know there are ways.

JSF

What is this storage?
Until today I gave up in frustration but now have found a solution to my problem. In the meantime I installed Flash with Mozilla and used this browser if I wanted Flash.

I refer you to this link in Macromedia’s forum. It describes my problem and a reply by "kenwill" solved the problem. I repeat the solution here:

Download and Install:
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
Execute spywareblaster and go to "tools"
Go to the "flash killer" tab
Uncheck "disable and block macromedia flash"

There clearly is something malicious in my software which is blocking both execution and download of Flash. The problem is shared by others as the previous link and
this link affirm. I would sure like to isolate the offending software. My virus scan detected no viruses.

Joe.