Can't find bluetooth gateway

You'd think this would be an easy thing.

-Pairs to phone in both handsfree (HFP) and audio (a2dp) modes
-has input for mic (XLR ideally but anything will do)
-has output for speakers (RCA ideally but anything will do)

In other words, I want just the BT part of a modern car head unit.

I can't be the only one, but I've been Googling for the damn thing for months now without luck.

I'd pay hundreds if the quality and reliability was there. There are a number of units on the market that use a built-in mic and plug into the cigarette lighter, but nothing that allows me to pull audio from a good source and send the audio to a good amp.

Or my Google-fu is really fu'd.

Help?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Website
s-laker.org
You might be able to do something with Pushbullet + If This Then That. There are definitely bluetooth speakers that include a mic, but mic + aux out seems to be a tall order.

You might be able to do something with Pushbullet + If This Then That. There are definitely bluetooth speakers that include a mic, but mic + aux out seems to be a tall order.
Indeed. At this point I'd be interested in commissioning some; I could personally use 4-5 and could easily sell another dozen. Anyone game for some software + minor EE?

Mercutio

Website
s-laker.org
I figured that would be too much of a time investment for dd. I spent a couple weekends screwing around to get an Rpi working right with an NFC sensor to toggle bluetooth inputs on my phone and that was mostly following a recipe.

Maybe. Sounds like a fun project to me, if I had the time. Looks like a hifiberry would be desired too.
HiFiBerry looks like a neat project. Should I be taking this idea to a rasberry pi forum of some kind? Does that seem to be the optimum solution?

Thanks!

Handruin

Administrator
First application would be automotive, then possibly aviation, then home.

I don't see how your configuration could get the mic audio back into the phone for handsfree calling?

I'd love some help; but "help" might be an understatement. I'm not a programmer of any kind and I'm pretty poor at the EE side as well. I know nothing about the BT protocols required or pairing or pre-amps. I suspect that their is a larger market for this thing, but I fear that development costs would be significant enough to actually require marketing it in the end.

Mercutio

Website
s-laker.org
Hardware hackers have figured out how to add aux out to an Amazon Echo, who is a pretty cool piece of hardware for a lot of other reasons. I'm not sure it's practical for Aviation, but it would work well in a home setting.