Can't transfer executable from external drive to second partition

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I'm sick of f*cking weirdo Windows problems. A computer I delivered this afternoon, the customer called me (yep, on a Saturday evening, criss de Tabarnack) to tell me that he can't transfer a program from his external drive to the second partition of his main drive. Pictures and music files can be transfered, but not executables. However, he can transfer them from the external drive to the C: and then take them from the C: to the second partition without issue.

The Windows installation is brand new : I did it myself. The only thing special there is about the second partition is that it is shared on the network (because he wants to access it with the multimedia device connected to his TV). OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. Antivirus is Avira Antivir Free Edition. All the Windows updates have been installed and the hardware drivers also are the latest. The hardware is the following :

• Core i7 2600
  • Asus P8Z68-V LE motherboard
  • Kingston KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX RAM at 1.65V, 9-9-9-24 all set up right in the BIOS
  • Power Color AX6850 1GBD5-DH graphic card
  • Hitachi 7K1000.D 1TB hard drive
  • LG GH24NS70 SATA DVD-RW
  • NZXT Source 210 Elite ATX mid tower
  • Xigmatek NRP-PC702 power supply (700W)
  • Asus VE247H monitor, connected via DVI
  • USB Microsoft keyboard and USB mouse
  • I don't remember the speaker, not that it should be relevant here
The C: is 100GB and the second partition (E: ) is ~830GB. The list of installed softwares (when I left the computer alone with the owner) :

• Firefox 9.01
  • MS Live 2011 (Messenger, Live Mail and Photo Album only)
  • K-Lite Mega codec Pack 8.15 and K-Lite Codec Pack 64-bit 5.6
  • CD Burner XP Pro 4.4.0.2905
  • MS Office Home & Student 2010
  • Java 7 update 2
  • Adobe Flash 11.1.102.55 32-bit and 64-bit, both for IE and Firefox
  • Adobe Reader 10.1.2
  • CCleaner 3.14
  • Superantispyware 5.0.1142
  • latest version of Avira Antivir Free Edition
  • Macrium Reflect (latest version)
I can't see where is the bug coming from and there's no conflict I can think of between any of the programs I installed.

Many of the computers I've sold recently have had weird issues, never the same, but I can't see what's wrong with my setups. I use above-average components, test the hardware, always ground myself when working with static-sensible components and certainly install a better program mix than what's found in any big-OEM computer sold. I'm pretty sure I'm not the source of those problems. Either Microsoft or shitty drivers bugs. In any case, it is extremely annoying to feel that I'm doing everything right but end up shipping computers that apparently don't work any better than some generic on-the-shelf pieces of shit.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Perhaps sharing the drive changed a permission somewhere?

I know of no combination of NTFS or SMB permissions that would cause that.
For that matter, I can't think of a standard issue Local Security Policy setting that would do it, either.

But Windows 7 does have a tool for configuring application execution settings. It's called Applocker. And you can make it do some interesting things. I don't remember seeing anything quite like that, but it's something to examine.

Other than that, I'd probably look at the security software settings on that machine. Maybe your user loaded some extra-weird security suite or turned heuristics all the way up to Super Paranoid?