Can't upgrade Galeon 1.2.5-8 to Galeon 1.2.6-1, need help.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I downloaded the rpm package of the latest version (1.2.6) of Galeon. Like I did before to install the J2RE 1.4.1 rpm, I typed :

chmod a+x galeon......rpm

rpm -iv galeon.....rpm

Where ..... is the string of caracters specific to that version. Problem is : when I try to launch the rpm installer, I get several conflicts with the files of my older Galeon installation.
Code:
root@localhost Galeon126]# rpm -iv galeon-1.2.6-1.i386.rpm
Preparing packages for installation...
file /etc/gconf/schemas/galeon.schemas from install of galeon-1.2.6-1 conflicts with file from package galeon-1.2.5-8mdk
file /etc/sound/events/galeon.soundlist from install of galeon-1.2.6-1 conflicts with file from package galeon-1.2.5-8mdk
file /usr/bin/galeon from install of galeon-1.2.6-1 conflicts with file from package galeon-1.2.5-8mdk
file /usr/bin/galeon-bin from install of galeon-1.2.6-1 conflicts with file from package galeon-1.2.5-8mdk
file /usr/lib/galeon/components/libgaleon-xpcom.la from install of galeon-1.2.6-1 conflicts with file from package galeon-1.2.5-8mdk
file /usr/lib/galeon/components/libgaleon-xpcom.so from install of galeon-1.2.6-1 conflicts with file from package galeon-1.2.5-8mdk
file /usr/share/galeon/galeon.glade from install of galeon-1.2.6-1 conflicts with file from package galeon-1.2.5-8mdk
file /usr/share/galeon/preferences.glade from install of galeon-1.2.6-1 conflicts with file from package galeon-1.2.5-8mdk
file /usr/share/omf/galeon/galeon-manual-C.omf from install of galeon-1.2.6-1 conflicts with file from package galeon-1.2.5-8mdk
Any knowledgeable soul out there to help me fix that problem?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Does -U mean to overwrite older files?

Anyway, thanks. I'll try it.

Which version of Galeon are you using and what package did you download? Would it be better to download the source code and re-compile it using GCC3.2 (if yes, how the hell do I do that? ...another Google search) or getting the .rpm package is just as good?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
-U means upgrade/replace instead of installing fresh; the old package is reporting that it needs the old files, and doesn't know what to do with the new ones.

rpm is not the greatest thing in the world.

I don't use Galeon.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
-U means upgrade/replace instead of installing fresh; the old package is reporting that it needs the old files, and doesn't know what to do with the new ones.

rpm is not the greatest thing in the world. You can, of course, download and install from a tarball/sourcetarball. That'll work fine, but depending on your level of experience, might be a bit more difficult.