Captivating - Chernobyl "dead zone"

Handruin

Administrator
yes, they are very haunting. To be able to go into a large city and hear nothing but the wind...It was interesting to read about the radiation levels if you strayed off the road. I think she wrote the numbers doubled within a few feet...scary.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Its been mirrored

Can someone tell me what the point of slashdot is? Everytime I have a look at the comments attached to any particular story, it would appear that they are just a collection of noise.

The other thing that cross my mind is whether or not the slashdot crowd can manipulated for alteriative motives i.e. intentionally knocking servers offline

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Slashdot's discussions can, in some cases be highly, HIGHLY technical and educational, especially if you browse at high moderation levels (+3 and up). Sometimes you can even talk to tech luminaries, if you're lucky - I had a couple of back-and-forth comments with Lawrence Lessig once, for instance. If you spend quality time at lower moderation levels, you'll run into lots of funny things and off-topic sub-discussions that can be quite enlightening. I've probably learned more stuff that's useful to me as a day-to-day tech from slashdot than I did in getting my Bachelor's.