Capture Cards?

ddrueding

Fixture
Looking to pull the signal from an HD DirecTV receiver to play back in a window on a computer. Assuming HDMI protection prevents doing this over HDMI, what about component?

Single source, playback only. Don't need recording, multiple inputs, or any outputs. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

ddrueding

Fixture
So I use that to pull component and SPDIF from the DirecTV receiver and feed the HDMI to a capture card so I can play it in a window on the computer monitor? This bypasses the HDMI protection (HDCP?)?

Stereodude

Not really a
I don't see how the product Merc's recommended is going to help you unless it "accidentally" strips HDCP so you could use a HDMI/DVI capture card. If you're looking for analog from an HDMI input (since I'm not sure if the HD Direct TV receiver has component out), as far as I know you need something like an HDfury. It will accept a HDMI signal w/ HDCP and convert it to component.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
That device accidentally strips HDCP all on its own. Actually, a lot of HDMI splitters just happen to do that. You can google "HDMI stripper" to find other, cheaper ones, but the Monoprice device is one I know specifically to work.
A lot of people who do console gameplay recordings for Youtube or Twitch need those setups.