Car Computing Thread

ddrueding

Fixture
Some people have voiced interest in this topic, and I've dabbled some with it, so I figured I'd start a gathering place for information/discussion.

I've used the following hardware with much success:

VIA EPIA-M motherboards (both the M10000 (1Ghz) and the 600Mhz fanless)
512MB RAM
Assorted HDD
USB WiFi adapter (I like Linksys)
12-volt single-board power supply (currently looking at these)
Either a USB 10-key or the bad-ass Logitech for more functionality.

There are many places that will make custom LCD screens for a few thousand, but I haven't yet found a stock one that fit perfectly in a "Double-Din" Car stereo opening.

I've either run blind or mounted something larger in a difficult and intrusive design.

More to come when I get home...

ddrueding

Fixture
Ahh...home at last ;)

Re: Software. I've always used Windows XP, though I'm sure a Linux-guru could make something better. Running at a really low resolution and with limited input device (10-key only) is not something windows does very well.

The most basic system I've built had no screen and only the 10-key. All administration was done via RDC to the WiFi. It booted (using a custom-wired pushbutton under the dash) and automatically loaded Winamp. They 10-key could control the songs and the pushbutton could shut it down again. An FM broadcaster thingy tied it in with the car stereo.

My "Dream system" includes the custom LCD panel to replace the stock stereo; the computer itself mounted in the glovebox, cooled by the car's AC :mrgrn:. Having a nice display makes some of the more advanced features possible: DVD/DIVX playback, mapping GPS, web access via cell-phone, etc. And a hard-wired connection to the car's stereo is a must for good quality sound.

Jan Kivar

Learning Storage Performance
I've thought about car computers a bit. Unfortunately I'd need the car first... :oops:

Digital WorldWide has some TFT screens. Especially this 7" motorized one, though it's not out yet. How big exactly is double DIN?

Unless one really has to haul tons of MP3s, laptop drives are good alternative, as they use only 5 V.

As for the keypad, I like the looks of this Kensington laptop numpad. If one wants to be creative, Digital WorldWide sells also "touch-screen kits". I think one could build something nice with those.

One other thing at this time: VIA (paper?)released Nano-ITX boards last week. Only 120x120 mm. Fits nearly into the ashtray. 8)

Cheers,

Jan

ddrueding

Fixture
Jan Kivar said:
Especially this 7" motorized one, though it's not out yet. How big exactly is double DIN?

This monitor is already touch-screen ;) IIRC, 7" wide is about right...I'll take exact measurements again when I find myself in a car with a measuring tape. My ideal was not to have one that motored in and out, but rather that was fixed in the dash.

Jan Kivar

ddrueding said:
This monitor is already touch-screen ;) IIRC, 7" wide is about right...I'll take exact measurements again when I find myself in a car with a measuring tape. My ideal was not to have one that motored in and out, but rather that was fixed in the dash.
Kit from DWW.
-LCD Panel:
Height 4 1/4" (108mm) x Width 6 11/16"(170mm) x Depth 3/8"(9mm)
Might be too big... :-?

Cheers,

Jan

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
This is coming from someone with a huge HTPC but...
What do you need a car PC to do that can't be done as well or better with existing, non-computer parts?

I toyed with the idea of installing a PC in one of my cars, but the only thing I could come up with for utility, aside from having access to gigabytes of MP3s, was internet access, something that's far from universal and of dubious legality while on the road.

ddrueding

Fixture
The functions I'd want are as follows:

Mapping GPS (including 3-D terrain mapping features using USGS Data)
DVD/DIVX playback using car stereo for audio
40+GB of MP3s (with Winamp 5's media library for management)
Web/E-mail access via open WiFi and/or cell phone integration.
Engine Management via existing data-feed

Sure, there are ways to get all this into a car already, but not in the integrated fasion that I'm after. I'd imagine one of the biggest reasons is it's "dubious legality", but I'm pretty sure it's straight illegal in CA. No doubt an invitation for lawsuits if someone installed them professionaly.

The technologies I'd like to use include these:

High-Brightness LCD
Touchscreen
Voice Recognition
Bluetooth Cell phone
5.1 capable car stereo
USB-capable GPS
Pentium M
802.11 b/a/g

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
I guess the benefit of having a retracting screen is that it wouldn't be as tempting for car thieves. How about getting a laptop, seperating the screen from the guts, and using a longer LVDS? cable so you can mount the brains in the boot or something? I belive it's illegal to have TV/video running within sight of the driver when the car is in motion. However I can't see them banning GPS on-screen.

ddrueding

Fixture
1. Though the screen itself is less visible, the enclosue of a retracting screen is more visible. Plus it's modular design makes it easier to steal.
2. Laptop monitors are too bog
3. The LCD screen itself isn't illegal, but some content is (movies, etc) good luck proving that. And that adds another feature I'd like:

High-Def TV :mrgrn:

Jan Kivar

I'd like GPS and MP3. DVD/divx? Maybe for the back-seaters... E-mail and web if one REALLY needs it. The text would be so small that You'd have to stop to see it properly. It would be nice if a voice read the e-mails... [The use of mobile phones in cars while driving was banned here as phones caused too much accidents (or, increased the risk of getting into accidents...). Hands-free is still allowed, however.]

Pradeep, while the idea of using a dismantled laptop sounds nice, most of them have at least 12" screens. You'd really have to retrofit the dashboard to make it fit. And, if one would really like a screen that big, the best choice would be a standard 15" TFT. If they use 12 V, that is... If not, the laptop seems the only way.

Most laptops have bigger motherboards inside than a Mini-ITX board.

Cheers,

Jan

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
How about a retractable screen that covers the whole front windshield, and a projector mounted on the roof in the back. It would be a very nice widescreen theatre, just recline the seats and enjoy. Bit hard to do whilst driving tho. And a gyro stabilized Dish for content delivery.

Mercutio

One of the local municipalities here has Police cars with a regular 15" LCD mounted on a pole-and-swingarm assembly in the middle of the front console. I haven't been close enough to see what they use for input if anything, but driving at night the display is very large and very visible.

That'd be a killer for me. I could probably bill out two or three more hours if I could be on the internet solving/fixing problems (mmmm RDP) if I had a convienent way to be online while I'm stuck in traffic (laptop, generally locked in my truck, isn't normally all that helpful at those times).

Corvair

Mercutio said:
This is coming from someone with a huge HTPC but... What do you need a car PC to do that can't be done as well or better with existing, non-computer parts?

"Wardriving" of course! 8)

I toyed with the idea of installing a PC in one of my cars, but the only thing I could come up with for utility, aside from having access to gigabytes of MP3s, was internet access, something that's far from universal and of dubious legality while on the road.

Unless someone is a incorrigible tinker or something, I don't see why a beefy notebook computer with an adequate charging unit wouldn't be the best thing. In an ordinary automobile, desktop mobos and hard drives are going to take up too much room.

Mercutio

My laptop is nice and new, and it lives in my trunk or in my living room. I was thinking a cop car-like semi-permanent computer installation would be the way to go, especially given the very real PITA factor of finding room 'twix spare tire and steering wheel for to place a laptop.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio said:
My laptop is nice and new, and it lives in my trunk or in my living room. I was thinking a cop car-like semi-permanent computer installation would be the way to go, especially given the very real PITA factor of finding room 'twix spare tire and steering wheel for to place a laptop.

Considering what you drive (Crown Vic, right) someone might actually mistake it for a undercover car. Otherwise, I think of a large LCD as in invitation for some broken glass.

Onomatopoeic

Back to the subject of Wardriving for a second...

By chance, have any of you noticed any "Wardrivers" doing their thing?

I guess this would include pedestrian as well as 4-wheeled "Wardriving." (I have not... yet.)

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Howell said:
Mercutio said:

Considering what you drive (Crown Vic, right) someone might actually mistake it for a undercover car. Otherwise, I think of a large LCD as in invitation for some broken glass.

Put an array of functionless but impressive looking aeriels up, and make sure you have the cheap steel wheels with no covers. You should be fine. A mounted shotgun on the dash may be going too far tho....

Mercutio

Black Crown Vic or Silver Taurus. Both my cars kind of look like cop cars. That was not intentional (as for why I have two, that wasn't intentional either - the Taurus works perfectly but since it has 150k miles on it, it's not worth my time to sell it, so I keep both).

re: Wardriving. I was shocked to find out how many open APs there are in my little subdivision. Four of them are named "Linksys" and doubtless are still running their factory default settings, and there are at least three others, just in the four blocks of houses that I drive through to get to my town's main street from my house.

My little PocketPC finds APs all over the place, if I leave it on.

I was just thinking that if I got really desperate for internet service at home, sitting out on the street and surfing/checking mail would probably suck a lot less than dialup. :)

ddrueding

Fixture
My sister (currently attending UofO) doesn't even bother getting DSL when she goes to a new apartment. She's certain she will find an open AP.

This also makes going nuts on Kazaa a lot less risky :lol:

ddrueding

Fixture
My new extended commute has me revisiting this topic. I know I want the following in there, and if anyone has suggestions for features/hardware, feel free to chime in.

Touchscreen LCD (7"? Larger? Integrated? Swing-arm?)
Mapping GPS
MP3/DivX (Winamp/MPC?)
Bluetooth interface to phone for speaker phone & internet
WiFi for war driving
ODB-II car interface
Car-intelligent power supply
Satellite Radio
Rear-view camera?
High-End Mic?

I don't think space is that much of an issue; under either of the front seats is enough space for an mATX motherboard. Which motherboard has the best on-board video and sound these days?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I did a little car computing for MP3 and car movie purposes. I used winamp with a 10 key plugin and the thing worked pretty good unless it was so cold out the HD would not initialize :) and you would have to run the heat a bit before you could use it.

I no longer need it though so you may have it if you want for the cost of shipping. It has a proper Acquire ACE-916V 160W 12VDC input power supply, AMD K62 500, ASUS P5A-B motherboard, 192MB memory, 30Gig HD, DVD, Aureal Vortex SQ2500 sound card, ATI Expert at Play Video. Kind of ugly beige AT case. I have a couple optical drives and HD's you could swap out, maybe even include a standard ATX AC power supply so you can work on it inside too.

ddrueding

Fixture
I appreciate the offer MaxBurn, but this will be kind of a project for me. Just getting a computer in the car is pretty easy; I even have a touch-screen tablet with a 120GB HDD and HD Audio that I could use. But I'm specifically looking into doing and integrated, high-end installation.