Car news.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
ddrueding said:
But that car would handle for crap. We need a car with L x W x H Ratios of about 1 x 0.75 x <0.5 for the best performance.
Mass distribution also enters the equation (lower center of gravity is better) but your observation simply shows the many conflicting requirements between making a vehicle which can cope with real-world driving conditions versus one which can attain maximum possible efficiency. Ultra-low rolling resistance tires also handle poorly, but they save energy. That being said, I do remember seeing concept cars in Popular Science in the 1980s which were perfectly driveable, and had Cds in the 0.12 area. My guess is 0.10 might be attainable in a road-worthy vehicle, but anything less is probably pushing it.

In all honesty, we could save a bundle of energy if everyone who didn't need an SUV switched to a small/medium car with a Cd in the 0.25 to 0.30 area. These 0.12 Cd vehicles would just be the icing on the cake. And laminar flow research might yield very good results without needle-nosed body shapes. I think that box fish car Coug mentioned derived it's aerodynamic efficiency partially from laminar flow.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
. . . or we could pack 6 people comfortably into a Rolls Royce Phantom and carpool everywhere. I get first dibbs on the bar.

----------

In all seriousness, jtr is correct -- efficiency and safety seem to be about compromise. Yet, someone like Ford comes along with their new Fusion model, and receive a very lowest side-impact rating. How could they let this happen? Easy, the side-impact airbags aren't standard. So, for a driver side impact, the driver's head hits the object ramming the car, plus they receive fractures to their ribs and pelvic bone. That's not compromise, that's lunacy.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Buck said:
That's not compromise, that's lunacy.
That's Ford, period. The amount of safety screw up by this manufacturer over the last few years is disturbing.

In French, we say F.O.R.D. is for :

Ferraille (rusted iron)
Ordure (garbage)
Rebuts (rejects)
Déchets (waste)
_________
FORD!

See Clocker, I can bash something else than G.M.!

To their defense, they make a few good vehicles too. The Five Hundred isn't bad, although uninspired and the Mustang is a good value among sports cars. Their F-250/350 are supposed to be the sturdiest pick-ups on the market.

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Here in the UK we say FORD = Fix Or Repair Daily :)

BTW, Hello everyone, I've not been around for a while, just thought to stop by :)