CD TO MP3?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
HI
Trying to get a bunch of stuff from CD onto my phone.

Any favorite programs to do this?

Does NERO do it?

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Non-Windows: grip + lame + gnomad2/gmtp/gtkpod

Windows: Windows Media Player (it's in the options to encode to wma or mp3: Tools > Options > Rip Music > Format ). If your phone supports MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) as well, then WMP will handle syncing the mp3s to your phone including being able to sync album art and playlists.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Because it's not lossy, and once it's on my file server I can put it in any other format if I need to. My portable player plays flac, so I generally don't bother to convert.

Will Rickards

Storage Is My Life
Website
willrickards.net
Because it is a lossless format would be my guess. That is no data is lost in the conversion and the original uncompressed data can be obtained from the encoded file.

I rip my CDs using Exact Audio Copy to uncompressed wav files. Then I convert them to .ogg format that plays on my android phone. To convert all those files at once I used xrecode II. I paid for a license for that software and had some back and forth with the developer who fixed some things for me and added a new feature.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
THANKS FOR THAT.If only for your excellent tutorial, which I will be using, again...

Stereodude

Not really a
Assuming you only want to do this once, and you want to make sure you've done everything as correctly as possible, these instructions are for you.

Use EAC and Lame 3.98.4 (don't get any alphas)

Unzip LAME somewhere, and install EAC. Let EAC go through it's configuration wizard (make sure you tell it you want accuracy over speed). When it's done, press F11 to go to the compression options. Pick the External compressor tab. Check "Use external program for compression" pick "user defined encoder" and point it to the LAME.exe in the spot you unzipped LAME. You can set anything you want for the bitrate, it ignores this. I check "delete .wav after compression". I also prefer to let EAC add an ID3 tag, so I check that as well. For the additional command line options, this is where you have a choice. Personally, I use "-V 1 %s %d" (less the quotes). The quality number is after the V.

This Wiki entry has more information on recommended LAME settings. In the past I found V 1 to be transparent and V 2 not. Also, HD space is dirt cheap, so don't worry about file size too much. I got over 400 cds compressed to about 40gigs using that setting. It tends to average around 225kbit/sec.

On the ID3 Tag tab I check "use ID3v1.1 instead of 1.0" and "additionally write ID3V2 tags..."

Now you're pretty much all set, so grab your first disc toss it in the drive, let it get the titles from the freedb and then select all the tracks on the disc, right click and select, "test and copy selected tracks", then "compressed" or use SHIFT + F6. Point it to where you want to save them, and viola.

After ripping is EAC will show its results + the accuraterip results (telling you if your rip matches other rips of the same disc, or not, and how confident it is that you rip is right, or wrong). It may also tell you that your disc is not in the database. Click ok to get back to the main EAC window. If it says your disc isn't found, or tells you that your disc doesn't match the one in the database, or if it tells you that one of the tracks doesn't match, compare the read and test CRC. If they match you're good to go (in the case of the disc not found, or your rip may be different from the one found in the database). Usually, if all the tracks check out in accuraterip except one but the CRC matches (often it doesn't) I will take the disc out of the drive and make sure the bottom isn't scratched or damaged. Sometimes I will pick just that track and test and copy that track again, or try it in another drive. Sometimes you just can't get one track to match, but the Test and Read CRC match, so you move on.

This will allow you to ensure your mp3 rips are as error free as possible, and they'll be high quality so you won't find yourself wishing you used a higher quality compression setting later, or finding glitches in the mp3 files.

Also, if you have a multi-core, or hyperthreaded PC you can set EAC to queue compression in the background while it rips. (under EAC Options, tools tab, "On extraction, start external compressors..."). This will speed things up, but if you are running single core non HT CPU, it can mess up your ripping because the mp3 compressor monopolizes the CPU's resources.

Other options worth checking are "automatically access online freedb database", Set the error recovery to high. I like to set my naming convention to "%N - %T" (no quotes) and "%N - %A - %T" for various artist discs.

Stereodude

Not really a
If you want FLAC files instead of mp3's...

Get FLAC 1.2.1b here.

Install it and as above set EAC to use a User Defined Encoder on the External Compression tab. Point it to FLAC.EXE (which is where the installer placed it). For additional command-line options: use -6 -V -T "ARTIST=%a" -T "TITLE=%t" -T "ALBUM=%g" -T "DATE=%y" -T "TRACKNUMBER=%n" -T "GENRE=%m" -T "COMMENT=%e" %s -o %d. Check Delete WAV after compression and Check for external programs return code.

The rest is the same as the MP3 guide above.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Stereodude and all:
Thank you very much for your help. I have EAC and Lame up and working as we speak, and ripping files to .wav and mp3 as we type. I'm taking each CD, ripping it to both file formats. Figure the phone can take nearly 4 days of music, or 5, with the 16 GB MicroSD
card. Better then an ipod.

I've been using Kipsch in ear, not so good, and cheap wires, and, a Bluetooth wireless
Motorola headset, that's loud, and works very well.

Thanks again.

PS
Does it make sense to copy to .wav store on one drive, and mp3 as well, and have two backups?

I don't think my phone supports .flac. Didn't see the .flac files I put on it. Nokia 5230.

Stereodude

Not really a
That depends how much you value your data. I don't know what you would want to use .flac files in a phone though. They're too big and you're not likely to be listening in an environment where you can discern the difference.