Cheap gaming machine for school?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Hi guys:
The school district has given me that wonderful teaching machine, the Imac.

I can't stand it.

David, anyone, how would you configure, or buy, a cheap, gaming machine, for my kids at school?
If anyone wants to dump one, cheap in The People's Republic of Kalifornia, northern area, let me know: hint: DAVID. Should be tax deductible...
If not, I've been looking at that Supermicro, 875P based machine, barebones, posted in another thread, with about a 2.8 ghz P4, but, that's as far as I have gone.

Thanks

Greg

ddrueding

Fixture
:wink:

Sorry Greg, but I unloaded all of my gear just before christmas. I was moving, so many of my friends and relatives got slightly-used computer components as needed and quite cheap.

Depending on your requirements, an AXP gaming box with a 9600XT should be had for under $500, an A64 with 9800Pro for under $800, and a A64 with X800 for just over a grand. Cheaper than those is really not my speciality. Perhaps a Dell refurb with a 9600Pro?

Splash

Learning Storage Performance
Santilli said:
The school district has given me that wonderful teaching machine, the Imac.

As long as it isn't one of those first 2 generations, it shouldn't be all that bad. Besides, it'll keep your mind on your work, unless you get involved with endlessly customising your Desktop Settings.

As someone at ChompUSA once told me: Yes, the lovely iMac. "Our most popular computer, and our most returned computer!"

The People's Republic of Kalifornia, northern area, let me know

Thought it was the Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia (DPRK), with Santa Barbara in the DMZ between the warring halves.

http://www.kimsoft.com/dprk.htm