"Click of Death" and recovery services....

ddrueding

Fixture
I have here a 20GB drive with the click of death, the info on it is quite valuable. What is the likelyhood that this data is recoverable through a professional service?

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Through a professional data recovery service, such as Ontrack, Action Front, Data Mechanix, or Drive Savers - more then likely. Usually, a click-click is related to an electronic failure on the PCB. Even if a head has failed, the data is still recoverable through head replacement. A bad sign is when you hear a major clunking sound, like a broken metal part.

ddrueding

Fixture
Well, I've never heard the "official" click of death, so I can only assume this is it. There are two phases, one is a real hard seek sound (click click) and the other sonds like a STR test on an X15 (grinnnnd).

We'll see if the owner of said drive can place a value on the missing data. He previously said "any price", but I think he'll reconsider when he gets a quote.

ddrueding

Fixture
Tannin said:
Get a quote.

Get a bottle of scotch.

Pour scotch.

Administer quote to customer.

Pour more scotch.

Yes. Well, I'm playing golf @ the CC this afternoon with them. We usually play for shots of whisky (per hole). Considering I'm the better player, I'll just hold the quote for the back nine ;)

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
WHICH LOCAL COUNTRY CLUB?
PASATIEMPO?(SP?)

ETC. Used to live down there, and played golf, as well.

gs

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Never played there. Is that kind of fancy, set off in the mountains, and new?

gs

ddrueding

Fixture
Well, it is kind of fancy, and set off in the mountains, but not new. The whole thing is horribly exclusive and designed to favor regulars (the putting greens use a different grass than the course, and the holes are quite misleading - the best shot off a tee won't be down the fairway, rather over a bunch of trees).

Not as nice as Pasadera or PB, but as good as Rancho Canada or Black Horse/Bayonet.

Every time I do a little work for this guy (less than an hour in most cases) I kindly refuse payment. Next thing I know he's treating to a $300 golf/dinner at one of his clubs....

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
A LOT of beautiful courses down there. I used to play Pasatiempo all the time. Snuck on, till I got caught, and since my boss was the president of the club, I decided I should stop it;-(

In that area shot a 77 at Boulder Creek, IIRC. Beat a pro at the Olympic Club, and he came back and beat me by 20 playing at Aptos Seascape.

On a 347 yard par four, Bruce, the pro from the O, drove the green.
I hit it 320, using Bruces whippy driver, and, the poor teacher playing with us drove it 290, his best drive ever, and was third in the foursome...

Used to play the big O every Thursday. Drive up, and we would either play the Lake in the morning, or, if we couldn't get on, I'd play race cart golf on the ocean with Bruce, when he got off at 2-3 pm.

Those were the days my friend, I wished they'd never end...

gs

ddrueding

Fixture
Well, I'm not sure where you are now....but if can make it down, it'd be fun to get my ass kicked ;)

RE: the drive: after the $100 inspection fee, they said it would cost an additional $1,000 to get the data back. The company backed out. Looks like they'll be doing end-of-year by hand this time around....

EdwardK

Learning Storage Performance
ddrueding said:
RE: the drive: after the $100 inspection fee, they said it would cost an additional $1,000 to get the data back. The company backed out. Looks like they'll be doing end-of-year by hand this time around....

The whisky did not help your client to fork out the money? :wink: Only joking! :lol:

Cheers,
Edward

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Do they breathalise you as you tear down the course in your golf buggy? Donuts on the 18th green, before you drive into the lobby for your final drinks?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
In the 80's, things were a lot more wild west, and a lot less pc.

I'm not sure what we have now is better....

gs

ddrueding

Fixture
Pradeep said:
Do they breathalise you as you tear down the course in your golf buggy? Donuts on the 18th green, before you drive into the lobby for your final drinks?

Nope, no breathalizer. And it's a private course, with significant spacing between parties. It's a rare thing when you see anyone else. Though I have totaled a few golf carts in my youth. My friend has his own cart that he keeps in his own garage at the course, this garage includes a minibar (alcohol, and erm...other things). The golf cart has it's own cooler. Yet somehow, he's still able to shoot in the mid-eighties.