Clueless and Need Help!

aaron

What is this storage?
Background: My previous PC was an HP Pavilion running Win98. The HP's HDD is a Maxtor ATA/66 40GB (model 9409BU8) with FAT32 format. The HP is no longer intact as I have scrounged parts from it for my son's PC, but I still have the Maxtor drive and need to retrieve some data files on it. So I figured I would install the Maxtor into my (newer) Dell Dimension running WinXP as a slave to my Dell's drive (NTFS format) and copy the needed data files...

Problem: The Dell's BIOS recognizes/installs the Maxtor and I see it in Device Manager (says it's working properly). However, the Maxtor does not show in My Computer or Windows Explorer! I'm stumped - what can the problem be? :oops:

I really need your help. :excl:

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Go into Disk Management (Right click My Computer->Manage->Disk Management).

Check that the drive is active, you may just need to assign it a drive letter/name. Once you have done that, you will be able to see it in Windows Explorer.

aaron

What is this storage?
Pradeep~ Thanks for the tip. Hopefully, it's that simple a solution because I even tried slaving it on the second IDE cable and got the very same result. :excl:

I'm way too tired right now, so I'll try that tomorrow and report back.

aaron

What is this storage?
Sorry for not getting back yesterday, but I was sick as a dog (something I ate)!

As advised, I went into Disk Management and the Maxtor drive shows up as healthy & active, but no drive letter is assigned... When I right-click on the drive the abilitity to change the drive letter is greyed-out... So what do I do next? :?:

aaron

What is this storage?
-> Just remembered...

...that I was using GoBack with my HP PC, (I'm no longer using it with my Dell)... Could that possibly be the problem? :eekers:

aaron

What is this storage?
I don't know about Goback interfering.

Is the drive online?
As previously indicated, the BIOS, Device Mgr and Disk Mgr all see the drive. It's identified and reported as health & active, but has no drive-letter assigned (and I'm not being given the option to do that). The only option I'm being given is Delete Partition! :excl:

aaron

What is this storage?
SOLVED !!!

Using my friend, Google, I found:
"Ranish Partition Manager" Version 2.40 at www.ranish.com

It reported the Partition Type for the Maxtor drive as "Unknown," so I had it change the Partition Type to Windows FAT-32, and voila, it now has a drive letter!

Must be that GoBack altered the MBR... Whatever, it now works. :lol: