Command line DVD burning solution?

ddrueding

Fixture
Pretty simple, really. I need to be able to burn a file created from ntbackup to a DVD-RW as part of a regular backup routine. As simple as possible and as free as possible in that order of priority.

IIRC, honold mentioned there was one integrated into Server 2003 (which this machine is running) but I am unable to find any info on this.

Please help. TIA

David

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
There's a tool called cdburn/dvdburn that's included in the Server 2003 resource kit that can burn an ISO image from command line.

ddrueding

Fixture
Any help guys? I'm trying to automatically stick one file (2.2GB) onto a DVD-RW. I didn't think I'd be the only one with this issue, much less that a solution doesn't exist? dvdburn will get an ISO onto a disc, but is there a command line app that will make a file into an ISO?

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Yup, mkisofs.

I'm not sure if that's helpful though. For some reason I'd been under the impression you were a strictly GUI, Windows-only, "Linux isn't worth my time" guy. Then again, you're asking about command line stuff that would take about 30 seconds to set up with a UNIX OS, so I'm not sure. Mac OS X might be able to do this sort of thing too.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
mkisofs works under Windows with cygwin.

It's probably still not David's cup of tea, which is why I didn't suggest it.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
BTW, does anyone know what the story is behind cdtools/cdrecord ? (Merc maybe?)

The fact that there was a name change, an illegal branch, a non GPL version for DVD, and what seems like 48 different web/ftp sites packed with the same or somewhat similar info is all rather confusing. Examples:

-Freshmeat cdrtools Project page
-Joerg's page for cdrecord

ddrueding

Fixture
Mercutio said:
mkisofs works under Windows with cygwin.

It's probably still not David's cup of tea, which is why I didn't suggest it.

Wow, yeah this defintaly is nowhere near my cup of tea...but I am desperate for it...let's see if I can have it working sometime tonight....

Thanks for the help guys...

ddrueding

Fixture
Got it :D That was easy....just had to install/learn cygwin, then the syntax for mkisofs.....

...now to figure out the dvdburn app...

ddrueding

Fixture
A Sony DRU-510A and a Pioneer DVR-A06, it's ok, I got it to work with the official MS stuff (that makes me feel better anyway).

Thanks for the help, though. This is a really cool setup. If anyone want's a rundown on the whole deal, let me know.