Connecting a PDA to Exchange Server

ddrueding

Fixture
A client just lost his Palm and it was replaced with a blackberry. He is giving me the opportunity to recommend something else (Treo?). I have practically no experience with any of them.

If you could choose which one to support, what would it be?

Requirements:
  • Live updates of Calendar, Inbox
  • Sync of Contacts
  • Other stuff I haven't thought of
I'm going to have to learn something, which would you guys prefer?

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Well, there are Treos that run the Palm OS so he could retain the functionality, look/feel, etc. that he's been used to. Versamail can do scheduled, manual, and push email via ActiveSync as long as webmail is set up on the Exchange side. Calendar & contacts sync over the air at the touch of a button (menu option) when wireless and/or during a cradled Hot Sync.

The Centro is the least expensive Palm-based SmartPhone. But the keyboard is a little small for my taste (just right for my wife). It's geared towards the consumer end while the Treo-branded units are prosumer/business. Some Treos run Windows Mobile; some run PalmOS. WM units generally have a W in the model number.

Palm OS is aging a bit less gracefully than I'd prefer. Supposedly a major new release will be out later this year. But anything you buy now probaby won't be upgradeable; SmartPhones rarely are (the do usually get a maintenance release or two). Still, it works well enough. Any Centro/Treo can be used to play MP3s, supoprt bluetooth headsets for phone (and stereo BT headsets for music via extra app). The cameras are what you'd expect. There are thousands of apps, both business and entertainment, available. The built-in browser is fine and Opera is available. Google has a couple of apps that run natively on it (Maps, GMail via Java Micro Edition).

Treos and Centros in general have craploads of accessories, from extra life batteries to dozens of cases, etc. There are also lots of community sites like TreoCentral.com, mytreo.net, etc. where info & forums are available.

BlackBerrys are fine for email but are a little behind in other areas. They have improved a lot, though. Depending on how things are set up you may need a BlackBerry Enterprise Server next to the Exchange box. In the old days you had to tether to sync calendar & contacts but I think that's resolved in newer hardware.

If using it as a business device, avoid the iPhone and probably most of the minor players.

Recommendation: If your client still likes the Palm platform, there's no reason for him to have to learn something totally different. Buy a Centro or PalmOS-based Treo, Hot Sync his existing setup from his PC to the Treo, and be on your merry way.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Requirements:
  • Live updates of Calendar, Inbox
  • Sync of Contacts

• I completely hate myself for mentioning, but Windows Mobile smartphones normally ship with Office Mobile Edition, including Outlook Mobile. I've tested Exchange installations with it and it pretty much does Outlook stuff - it syncs Calendar, Email and Address Book and generally behaves the way you'd expect Outlook + Exchange to behave.

Big problem with Windows Mobile is that it is very customizable, so the UI doesn't always behave the same way across hardware. My HTC6800 is very different from, say, a Motorola MC50 which is different yet from a Q. Screen layout seems to be the determining factor.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
I completely hate myself for mentioning, but Windows Mobile smartphones normally ship with Office Mobile Edition, including Outlook Mobile. I've tested Exchange installations with it and it pretty much does Outlook stuff - it syncs Calendar, Email and Address Book and generally behaves the way you'd expect Outlook + Exchange to behave.

Big problem with Windows Mobile is that it is very customizable, so the UI doesn't always behave the same way across hardware. My HTC6800 is very different from, say, a Motorola MC50 which is different yet from a Q. Screen layout seems to be the determining factor.

^^^it's not really you Merc, figment of our imagination.

Then again, with the usual disingenuous FS, anything is possible :)

even black pres.
May 8 2008, 06:05 PM
Post #19

Group: Member
Member No.: 1,471

spacer.gif

QUOTE(Eugene @ Nov 4 2006, 03:32 AM)
Alright guys,

For years a small handful of posters here in the B&G have hijacked its intended purpose (casual off-computing-topic chat) and turned off the vast majority of other SR readers and members.

I take a few years off and what do I find: sense has finally returned to SR. This should have been done in the GodsGurl-era, and perhaps the Bar and Grill would not have degenerated over the years.

Congrats Eugene for finally putting your foot down. Nice to see the site still up and running...off to go price a new Samsung F1 now!!!

Future Shock