Content Management Systems

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I know there have been threads about content management systems in the past, but I'm looking for feedback on open source systems that I do not have experience with.

My main experience has been with Joomla, and it is a fairly good piece of software, but I need some input on some alternatives. Wikipedia has a list that is pretty in-depth, but, other than what language it is written in and what DB it runs on I can't tell how good of a product each one is, how big the community is, or how extensible it is.

This is going to be used for a fairly simple corporate website. The most complicated things on the site now are a couple of forms that capture information in a database and send out an email when submitted.

We do not currently support any MySQL databases, so that is one issue. It seems no one wants to take on the responsibility of supporting a new DB. It appears that every open source product supports MySQL out of the box, and other DBs are a far cry from being well supported. Even the ones on the Wikipedia list that say they support Oracle, I couldn't find any instructions on their sites on how to do the installation, which does not bode well for how it is supported.

The language is relatively unimportant, although, I would like to limit it to either Java or PHP. We have Java developers in house, and people are willing to learn PHP.

The administration needs to be very easy to use, because the marketing department will be doing most of the updating after the CMS is deployed. A form builder would be very useful, so that we could create forms on the fly without having to write a bunch of code. A good image management tool is also important; something that could resize and crop images on import would be useful, because these are novice users that don't have Photoshop or other tools to do image manipulation.

Joomla can do most of this, but it only supports MySQL. Anyone know of a product that actually supports Oracle or MS SQL that they would recommend?

I also took a look at TYPOlight, which looks pretty interesting. I don't think they have a huge community like Joomla does, which is important for support issues and extensibility. Though, the user interface is really nice and clean. They say they support Oracle, but I couldn’t find any instructions for setting it up in an Oracle environment.

The other thing that is somewhat important is being able to setup the CMS in an environment with a production and standby server, where if the production server were to fail the CMS could come back up on the standby server. I don’t know if any of these systems are up to that. They also need to be able to connect to a separate DB server, as all of our systems separate data and applications currently.

I have a feeling that what I am looking for costs about $15,000, which, no one is prepared to spend. Let me know if I am wrong on this one.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
When I looked at closed-source systems a while back, a lot of the quotes I got were around $10k for systems that were built on MS Jet or SQL Server... without including the cost of the DBMS.

MySQL really, really shouldn't be a big deal for anyone who has dealt with Oracle.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I haven't actually tried it myself, but I think Typo3 looks interesting. And it supports most kinds of databases.

I downloaded this and tested it out locally yesterday. It seemed promising, but after installing it, the backend administration screens were horribly crowded and hard to use. I also couldn't find documentation on how to install on Oracle.

If you want to play with it there is a windows installer that made the whole setup process take less than 20 minutes. It installs PHP, MySQL and the application and then starts everything for you. I wish more of the systems had demo versions that were as easy to use as this. But, I was not impressed with the backend admin tools. I think it would take days to train someone on how to use it.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Is it possible that the systems that claim to support Oracle etc. are actually using MySQL as the SQL engine and Oracle as the storage engine? IBM & MySQL have rolled that out on the System i where DB2/400 is the storage repository for MySQL.

Handruin

Administrator
You wouldn't think so, but people in corporate environments seem really scared of new things.

Same with where I work...no support for MySQL in our corporate IT department so I support it myself. I don't have any recommendations for CMS because most I've seen (xoops, phpnuke, postnuke, etc) never quite do what I want and offer far too many features I don't need. In addition to that, finding one to run with Oracle is tough as you've so found.

What about a Virtual Appliance so that you don't have to deal with the setup? Maybe there is something in there that can help you.

Our group's infrastructure for web related communications is all VMWare based these days, so don't fear an appliance unless you're trying to host for 20,000 people. None of the hosts we have for our group run a single OS any more...

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I downloaded the Joomla JumpBox appliance to test out. Works pretty well.

Do you use these in a production environment and open them up to the world? Or is this just used for internal stuff?

From what I can tell JumpBox is free, am I correct here? I just need to register and then use it forever?

Handruin

Administrator
I use VMWare products in a production environment for the internal corporate LAN. Nothing is seen outside the company, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't use it for that. I have no specific appliances in use at the moment but we're working on building our own based on rPath. Sorry if I mislead you with that...I just meant that vmware as a concept is in use and it has worked well for us. The appliances I would have needed didn't exist at the time our production environment went live, otherwise I would have deployed a few.

You might want to investigate some of this on the vmware forums. They have a section dedicated to appliances. There are no responses to this specific appliance though.