Convert Image to AutoCad DXF Format

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
This might be a little OT here but I knwo I've seen an AutoCad topic at least once.

Anyway, I have an image file (any format let's say) composed of big block letters. I want to export (at least) the outline of the letters so I can bring them into my FE pre-processor (HyperMesh) and mesh them for the sake of modeling (yeah this is a fun little project).

THe idea is to create a finite eleoment model of these letters and mesh them so I can use a modeling program to load them up, explode them, crush them or do whatever. I'm making a movie clip of it (eventually)....

Thanks,
C

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I've found that Corel can do what I need.

Anyway....thanks for looking!

C

Explorer

Learning Storage Performance
You will have to use an illustration package that can take TrueType or Postscript Type 1 fonts and produce "vector fonts" so that you can save them in DXF or at least WMF format. You can then bring these vectorised fonts 2-D into any modern version of AutoCAD. There is also a 3-D font library for AutoCAD, with an assortment of serif and sans serif font outlines stored in DXF format. These are rather basic outlines (Times, Helvetica).

Explorer

Learning Storage Performance
One other tip: Make the font size as large as you can in the illustration package before you convert them into vector fonts, saving them as DXF or WMF files. This is so that you retain maximum precision in the object transformation. you can scale them down to size within AutoCAD, but still retain the precision if you need it.