Cool virtualizing tool

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Thanks for the tip. I just installed VMware ESXi on a test station and tested installing different OS's and making snapshots, etc. I was going to test conversion functionality tomorrow.

VMWare has a tool for this already - http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/ but i'd be happy to try both.

For my requirements I need to be able to convert existing windows and linux machines into virtual machines, so I think the VMWare solution is likely to be a better fit if we do continue to use ESXi.

It's interesting that these images can be mounted within windows, reminds me a lot of a mac .dmg file.

ddrueding

Fixture
Just downloading the new vCenter converter now...is anyone else amazed that such functionality causes the installer to be 100MB+?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
There's stuff all over the Windows 7 training materials about .VHDs. The Windows 7/Server 2008 R2 installation process uses .VHD in place of .WIM files and the Windows Deployment Service in Server 2008 R2 can deploy .VHDs as readily as .WIM files for supported OSes.

That's only a big deal if you're planning to do deployments that way, but it's nice that they collapsed a whole bunch of functionality into a single format. It borders on elegant, which is pretty damned remarkable coming from Microsoft.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
For my requirements I need to be able to convert existing windows and linux machines into virtual machines, so I think the VMWare solution is likely to be a better fit if we do continue to use ESXi.

I tryed the VMware converter on a 'live' system. It would have taken a very looooong time.
I found it faster to make a backup of the system with Acronis, then do the conversion with VMWare converter.

Maybe this is faster, I hope

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
VMWare has a tool for this already - http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/ but i'd be happy to try both.

We (but not I) have used Vconverter in the past.

stevejack

What is this storage?
hi there...

Will Vmware ESXi install and run on following Fujitsu Amilo Desktop servers:
Fujitsu-Siemens AMILO Li3745 with: Intel Quad Core Q8300 processor, 2.5GHz processor speed

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
hi there...

Will Vmware ESXi install and run on following Fujitsu Amilo Desktop servers:
Fujitsu-Siemens AMILO Li3745 with: Intel Quad Core Q8300 processor, 2.5GHz processor speed

Yes. but make sure you have a Gigabit NIC. That's really the only hardware compatibility issue I've run into.