Coronavirus

fb

Storage is cool
Here we have (somewhat simplified) 8 persons max in social gatherings, except funerals where 20 persons can attend. That feels like a resonable exception.

Have not heard anything about restrictions on fornication sins so far.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
Here we have (somewhat simplified) 8 persons max in social gatherings, except funerals where 20 persons can attend. That feels like a resonable exception.

Have not heard anything about restrictions on fornication sins so far.
Those restrictions seem to be fairly recent? It seemed like Sweden was going for a herd immunity strategy early on while their neighbors were being more conservative?

fb

Storage is cool
Those restrictions seem to be fairly recent? It seemed like Sweden was going for a herd immunity strategy early on while their neighbors were being more conservative?
The goal was never herd immunity, at least not officialy, but to "flatten the curve" to not overload the healthcare system.

It did work pretty good in the spring when people followed the guidelines. Of course, a huge scandal when Covid entered the nursing homes and the patients did not even get to see a doctor and were put on palliative treatment per default.

In the autumn people were tired of following the guidelines, and we got massive spread again... and it have entered the nursing homes again.

We will see what happens.

fb

Storage is cool
I just read that our ambassador in USA said on the Tucker Carlson show earlier this year that Sweden strived for herd immunity. And it would most likely be the result of our strategy - if it worked. Which it does not seem to do. many of the basic assumptions made by our authorities seems to be wrong. (Which is always easy to say afterwards).

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Given how little we knew about the virus then going for herd immunity made no sense at all. For starters, we still don't know how long a person is immune to it once they get it. If it's only a matter of months, herd immunity can never work unless everyone in the country got it within a few months of each other. The death rate for that would be staggering, on the order of 5%, since hospitals would be overwhelmed. So basically, if Sweden was happy to kill off 5% of its population maybe it might get herd immunity, at least until the immune response wanes and people from outside the country bring it in. Then you start all over again. A doctor on the news discussed the herd immunity strategy espoused by Dr. Atlas, head of Trump's coronavirus task force. Basically, he said it's mass murder. Maybe you would have 6 to 10 million deaths in the US in the first year, then 1 million deaths annually forever, or at least until the virus mutated into a less lethal strain and that strain took over, which of course might not happen.

fb

Storage is cool
I agree and that is also the reason why everybody officially rejected talks of herd immunity, because it would be a really cynical thing to do.

Plus now we are seeing people getting reinfected in 5-6-7 months...

Handruin

Administrator
I remember when that event happened back in February. Not much was known yet about covid in the US and most places hadn't shut down until mid March.

I wonder if they'll do a similar study to the Rose Garden event and the Whitehouse staff who seem to spread it carelessly to everyone.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
So looks like vaccination speed is increasing in the US:

"About 5% of the US population -- roughly 16.2 million people -- has received at least one dose of the vaccine, and 2.75 million people are fully vaccinated, according to CDC data updated Friday. Nearly 1.6 million vaccine doses were administered Friday, the largest one-day increase reported."

However things are not going as smoothly in continental Europe with supply issues:

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
It'll probably take at least 50% vaccination rates before we even have a chance of achieving herd immunity but at least the daily increase in vaccinations is a step in the right direction.