question Corrupt data behind Powerpoint 2003 graphs

blagalhotzky

What is this storage?
Hi there,

We have around 50 users here that work from home via a Microsoft terminal server and in the office on Microsoft Powerpoimt 2003 presentations. Lately we have had about 10 users getting corrupt Powerpoint files AFTER they had worked on the file via the terminal server the night before. I think this is related to them working on the file remotely but have no idea how this could be caused. The most frequent error appears when trying to edit data behind charts 'The server application, source file, or item can't be found, or returned an unknown error. You may need to reinstall the server application'.

I've researched the error and found it on Microsofts website but they implicate Norton Antivirus as the culprit. We do not have and AV software on the Terminal server or the fileserver where the files is stored so I have to rule this out. does anyone have any ideas?

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I'm pretty sure that anything MS Office 2003 is EOL at Microsoft. If Microsoft no longer supports it, it means there's no warranty it will play nice with newer OS. Is the rest of the environment equally dated, like the TS being on Server 2003? I know upgrading is expensive, but if you can't afford once per ten/twelve years, your business doesn't make enough money.

Is it possible that some users leave with the problematic files still opened and that your nightly backup solution, maybe recently implemented, doesn't shut down or at least saves the databases states properly?

Not related to the issue, but while AV programs don't stop everything, not having any in a business environment where 50 users connect FROM HOME is running after trouble. I hope you at least use a decent VPN with AV packet scan.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
There's a case to be made for not repurchasing probably $20k in software licenses if the existing stuff is doing what it needs to, but editing powerpoint in RDP seems like a bad setup in the first place. It may just be a matter of wanting the administrative benefit of a terminal-style login but in general office documents are well implemented in Sharepoint, Office 365 or Google Docs/Sheets et al.

How are the Excel files connected to the PPT? I'm guessing they're linked. Is there a good reason for that? My thinking is that something is holding up the files involved.
If you go look in Computer Management > Shares > Open Files, is anything using your files that shouldn't be? What about Process Explorer?